This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4863 / 51°29'10"N
Longitude: -0.1739 / 0°10'26"W
OS Eastings: 526886
OS Northings: 177949
OS Grid: TQ268779
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.4D
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.XXX0
Entry Name: 6 and 8, Mallord Street
Listing Date: 21 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265139
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425877
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW3
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Stanley
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Chelsea St John with St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2677 NE
MALLORD STREET (north side)
Nos. 6 and 8 (even)
House, set over coach house or garage. 1912-13 by W.D Caröe for Percy Morris. Brown brick with red brick dressings; stone cornice, plinth and architrave surround to central ground floor garage. Roof not visible, tall stacks.
Three storeys and attic. House entered to right, whence staircase leads through first and second storeys, each with four rooms per floor connected by cross-passage to servants' stairs rising from rear (left) of garage to attic. Main facade symmetrical save for door. Rusticated ground floor with three sash windows under gauged brick heads. Double doored garage to centre in stone architrave surround with volute mouldings. To right of this panelled house door under coved doorcase. The upper floors have opening casement windows with leaded lights, those to centre recessed at first-floor level between red brick panels and at second-floor level further set back behind projecting sill band and volutes. Modillion eaves cornice set back over this centrepiece. Casement dormers with leaded lights and tiled cheeks.
Interior: turned-baluster staircase rises through three flights. First floor drawing room with fine panelling and cornices, fireplace with Delft tiles under moulded fire surround with arched centrepiece. This room now opens into dining room, which is more simply panelled, with fireplace. Tiled kitchen and bathroom behind, the latter with original fittings. Many original cupboards and some fireplaces on second floor; original fireplaces also in attic, with coloured tiled surrounds. The whole interior retains its original cornices, mouldings and other fittings to an exceptional degree.
Included as a rare and complete surviving domestic work by the church architect W.D Caröe, which forms a strong group with the adjacent listed houses in an important area developed for artists and aesthetes 1909-1915.
Listing NGR: TQ2688677949
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings