This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0094 / 53°0'33"N
Longitude: -1.1268 / 1°7'36"W
OS Eastings: 458684
OS Northings: 346146
OS Grid: SK586461
Mapcode National: GBR LV1.6B
Mapcode Global: WHDGL.NMM8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 24 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235987
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425283
Location: Gedling, Nottinghamshire, NG5
Electoral Ward/Division: Redhill
Built-Up Area: Arnold
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Arnold
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
GEDLING CHURCH LANE
SK 54 NE
(north east side)
4/46 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Vestry 1839. Restored 1868
by Scott and 1877 and 1923. Coursed and squared rubble and
dressed stone with gabled and lean-to slate roofs. Chamfered
plinths. Chamfered and coved eaves. Coped gables. West tower,
nave, north and south aisles, organ chamber, chancel, vestry,
south porch. West tower, C14 and mid C15, 2 stages, has moulded
plinth, string course, eaves band and plain parapet with 4
pinnacles. 4 pairs of corner buttresses, 6 setoffs. First stage
has to west moulded doorway with clustered shafts and hood mould.
Above, restored triple lancet with geometrical tracery and hood
mould. Second stage has to south, carved panel, C13, with
figures. West side has square opening. North, south and west
sides have each a clock. Each side has, above, a double bell
opening with segmental head. Clerestory, C15, restored C19, 4
bays, has crenellated parapet. On each side, 4 Tudor arched
double lancets with hood moulds. North aisle, C14, has at west
end C14 double lancet with intersecting tracery and hood mould.
North side has 3 buttresses. To east, 2 C14 triple lancets with
intersecting tracery. To west, C14 cove moulded doorway and to
west again, similar triple lancet. All openings have hood
moulds. South aisle, C14, 4 bays, has at east end, C19
geometrical triple lancet. South side has 3 gabled buttresses
and 3 similar triple lancets. West end has similar double lancet.
All have hood moulds. Above south porch, C14 niche with nodding
ogee head. Lean-to organ chamber, c.1875, has a corner buttress
and to north, blocked lancet. Chancel, C14, 2 bays, has to north
a gabled buttress. To east, late C14 triple lancet with square
headed reveal and hood mould. East end has 2 pairs of gabled
corner buttresses and C19 5 light geometrical lancet with moulded
reveal and hood mould. Above it, crocketed ogee headed niche.
Above again, round window in square panel. South side has a
buttress and to east, C14 triple lancet with reticulated tracery
and hood mould. Gabled vestry has to east a gable stack and
pointed door. South side has chamfered double lancet with wooden
Y tracery. Openings have hood moulds. South porch, 1930, C15
style, has 2 diagonal buttresses, moulded parapet and doorway
with round shafts. On each side, a double lancet with hood
mould. Nave arcades, early C14, 5 bays, with additional half bay
to west, have each 4 octagonal piers with square plinths, moulded
bases and capitals. Arches double chamfered and rebated with
hood moulds and mask stops. 7 C14 moulded corbels. C19 strutted
principal rafter roof. Tower arch, C13, cove moulded and
rebated, with C20 glazed screen. Tower chamber has stained glass
window, Cl9. North aisle east end has restored C14 triple
lancet with intersecting tracery. South aisle east end has
memorial stained glass, 1898. To left, opening to rood stair.
South side has to east ogee headed C14 piscina and 2 stained
glass memorial windows, 1893, by Kempe, and 1909. Moulded
chancel arch, C14, has half-round responds and canopied,
traceried screen, 1924. North side has to west, arch to organ
chamber and above it, remains of C14 lancet with reticulated
tracery. To east C14 tomb recess. To its right, tall C14 Easter
Sepulchre with ogee headed blind arcade and niches. Moulded
surround. East end has sill band and stained glass window, 1873,
flanked by single C14 mask brackets. C20 panelled reredos, 1924.
South side has to east, C14 double piscina with Decorated
traceried head. To its right, C14 ogee headed triple sedilia.
To right again, stained glass window, 1909. Fittings include
late Cl9 octagonal ashlar pulpit and font. Carved stalls and
desks, 1924. Benches and lectern, late C19. Memorials include
corniced marble wall tablet, 1769. 2 marble and slate tablets,
Cl9. Framed war memorial panel, c.1920.
Listing NGR: SK5868446146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings