History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Daybrook, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0006 / 53°0'2"N

Longitude: -1.1377 / 1°8'15"W

OS Eastings: 457966

OS Northings: 345158

OS Grid: SK579451

Mapcode National: GBR LR4.TH

Mapcode Global: WHDGL.HVG1

Plus Code: 9C5W2V26+6W

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 27 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236096

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425299

Location: Daybrook, Gedling, Nottinghamshire, NG5

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Gedling

Electoral Ward/Division: Daybrook

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Arnold

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Daybrook

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Description


GEDLING MANSFIELD ROAD
SK 54 NE
Daybrook
(east side)
4/56 Church of St. Paul
G.V. II*
Parish church. 1892-6, designed by J. L. Pearson and paid for by
Sir Charles Seely. Coursed and squared rubble with plain tile
roofs. Ashlar dressings. C13 Geometrical and C14 styles.
Chamfered and moulded plinths, sill bands, string courses and
eaves bands. Billeted corbel table. Coped gables, some with
gabled kneelers and crosses. Single side wall stack. Windows
are Geometrical lancets with hood moulds, mostly linked. All
except clerestorey and vestries have stained glass by Clayton and
Bell. South west tower, nave, north and south aisles, north
porch, chancel, north chapel, north transept, vestries, lady
chapel. South west tower, 3 stages, has 3 pairs of setback
buttresses and to north west, canted stair turret. First stage
has to south, traceried panel containing moulded doorway with
crocketed finial. Above, 3 lancets East and west sides have a
double lancet. Second stage has recessed panels with corbel
tables, each with 2 round windows. To west, ornate bracket
clock. Third stage has on each side 2 double lancets with
crocketed gables, separated by pilaster with gabled niche and
figure. Above, octagonal broach spire with 4 spired pinnacles
and cross finial. 4 gabled double lancet lucarnes. Nave west
end has 2 gabled flanking buttresses, each with niche containing
figure. 6 light lancet with Y tracery. Gable has 8 stepped
gabled niches with brackets for figures. Clerestorey, 4 bays,
has on each side 3 buttresses and 4 quadruple lancets. East end
has gabled bell turret with 2 openings. Buttressed north and
south aisles have coped parapets and gables. Each has 3 double
lancets. North aisle west end has 5 light lancet and diagonal
buttress. North porch has 2 pairs of corner buttresses. Moulded
doorway with clustered filleted shafts. On each side, 2 small
double lancets. Interior has stone benches, principal rafter
roof and cove moulded doorway with shafts. Chancel north side
has to east, 2 triple lancets. East end has 2 flanking
buttresses and 7 light lancet with Y tracery. Lean-to north
chapel has triple lancet at east end. North transept and organ
chamber has to north, a lancet and above, double lancet. L-plan
vestry has to west, double lancet and to north, triple lancet
with segmental head. To east, a similar quadruple lancet. In
return angle, a doorway. Parapeted Lady Chapel has single
buttress to west. East end has triple lancet. South side has 3
double lancets. Vaulted south porch, below tower, has moulded
ribs and corner shafts. Stone benches. Moulded inner doorway
with shafts. Nave has 4 bay arcades with round piers, each with
4 ringed shafts. Lobed capitals. Octagonal and round responds.
Chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Continuous sill
band. Arch braced principal rafter roof with traceried panelled
gables. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs with traceried
arch braces. Chancel has moulded arch with hood mould and
clustered ringed shafts. Dwarf wall carrying traceried iron
screen with pair of gates. Sill band. Panelled vaulted ceiling.
North side has to left, tall shafted opening containing traceried
iron screen and organ. To its right, opening with iron screen.
To right again, C14 style cusped tomb recess with crocketed
gable, containing chest tomb and effigy of Emily Seely, 1894, by
Brock. East end has blind arcading and central alabaster gradine
and reredos, C14 style, with crocketed canopy and figures. South
side has 3 bay arcade with clustered shafts and iron screens.
East bay has C14 style piscina and sedilia with crocketed gabled
canopies. North chapel has pair of iron gates. Lady Chapel has
panelled barrel vaulted ceiling and sill band. Fittings include
octagonal font with traceried panelled bowl, and matching pulpit
with traceried figure panels. Brass eagle lectern. 4 altar
posts and hangings, with angel finials, 1936. Monuments include
moulded wooden War Memorial tablet with crucifix, 1919.


Listing NGR: SK5796645158


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.