History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ford Place and Wall to North

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wrotham, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3028 / 51°18'9"N

Longitude: 0.3462 / 0°20'46"E

OS Eastings: 563650

OS Northings: 158575

OS Grid: TQ636585

Mapcode National: GBR NP8.BB7

Mapcode Global: VHHPN.YJD4

Entry Name: Ford Place and Wall to North

Listing Date: 1 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236317

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427268

Location: Wrotham, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN15

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Civil Parish: Wrotham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Wrotham St George

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Trotterscliffe

Listing Text

TQ 65 NW WROTHAM C.P. FORD LANE
5/24 (east side)
1.8.52
Ford Place and wall
to north
GV
II*


Country house, of which only south wing survives. Dated 1582 and 1605 on stacks,
but armorials C20 in style. Probably built about 1600. Red brick to north and
west, with some stone dressings. The south side of brick and coursed rubble on
ground-floor. Rendered on 1st floor. Stringcourse over ground-floor to north.
Plain tiled roof, with 3 gables to north, decorative with steps, quarter-circles and
lunettes surmounting. Large stepped gable to west. Three chimney-breasts with tall
stacks on south side. 2 storeys; regular 3 window 1st floor to north, mullioned and
transom windows of rubbed brick to resemble stone, under each north side gable.
2 blocked windows of similar type on 1st floor of west end. Irregular fenestration
of ground-floor of north front and on south front. C20 boarded and rubbed door in
moulded surround to right of west facade. Interior: collar-purlin roof with
crown-posts, modified and re-used at east end of block. Linenfold panelling in one
1st floor room, a stone chimney-piece in another, its lintel covered with arabesques
and 2 squirrels below blackbird in cherry. West drawing room; large fireplace with
bressumer. Wall: attached at west end of north side. C16 in origin, but much
patched later. Coursed rubble stone below, red and blue brick above, on probable
site of courtyard screen wall. 6 ft high and 30 yds long. Remains of blocked
gateway visible in centre. House probably built by William Clarke, to whom there is
a brass dated 1611 in Wrotham Church. Forde passed to the Bartholomew and Geary
families of West Peckham in the eighteenth century, at which time it was relegated
to farmhouse status and sold. Restored, after semi-dereliction, in the 1920's, it
is now divided into 2 properties.


Listing NGR: TQ6076359294

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

TQ 65 NW WROTHAM C.P. FORD LANE
5/24 (east side)
1.8.52
Ford Place and wall
to north
GV
II*


Country house, of which only south wing survives. Dated 1582 and 1605 on stacks,
but armorials C20 in style. Probably built about 1600. Red brick to north and
west, with some stone dressings. The south side of brick and coursed rubble on
ground-floor. Rendered on 1st floor. Stringcourse over ground-floor to north.
Plain tiled roof, with 3 gables to north, decorative with steps, quarter-circles and
lunettes surmounting. Large stepped gable to west. Three chimney-breasts with tall
stacks on south side. 2 storeys; regular 3 window 1st floor to north, mullioned and
transom windows of rubbed brick to resemble stone, under each north side gable.
2 blocked windows of similar type on 1st floor of west end. Irregular fenestration
of ground-floor of north front and on south front. C20 boarded and rubbed door in
moulded surround to right of west facade. Interior: collar-purlin roof with
crown-posts, modified and re-used at east end of block. Linenfold panelling in one
1st floor room, a stone chimney-piece in another, its lintel covered with arabesques
and 2 squirrels below blackbird in cherry. West drawing room; large fireplace with
bressumer. Wall: attached at west end of north side. C16 in origin, but much
patched later. Coursed rubble stone below, red and blue brick above, on probable
site of courtyard screen wall. 6 ft high and 30 yds long. Remains of blocked
gateway visible in centre. House probably built by William Clarke, to whom there is
a brass dated 1611 in Wrotham Church. Forde passed to the Bartholomew and Geary
families of West Peckham in the eighteenth century, at which time it was relegated
to farmhouse status and sold. Restored, after semi-dereliction, in the 1920's, it
is now divided into 2 properties.


Listing NGR: TQ6076359294

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.