This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9109 / 52°54'39"N
Longitude: -2.7004 / 2°42'1"W
OS Eastings: 352997
OS Northings: 335059
OS Grid: SJ529350
Mapcode National: GBR 7K.NQKZ
Mapcode Global: WH89W.H3B8
Entry Name: Patchwork Cottage
Listing Date: 26 July 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236620
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427656
Location: Wem Rural, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Wem Rural
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Edstaston St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 53 NW
WEM RURAL C.P.
Farmhouse, latterly 2 cottages, now house. Dated 1667 and 1843 with
later additions and alterations, chiefly of late C20. Timber framed
with rendered infill on red brick plinth; reed thatch roof. 2-cell
plan with equal-length C20 gabled addition at right-angles to rear on right. One storey
and attic. Framing: much renewed; square panels, 3 from cill to wall-
plate, with long straight tension braces and V-struts from collar to
left gable end. Restored casements with leaded lights to left and
right of entrance are probably mid-C19, left in splayed projection;
asymmetrically placed gabled eaves dormers also with leaded casements
are C20 but reuse C19 pointed finials. C19 gabled timber framed porch
to right of centre has turned pine balusters (possibly copying those
of a C17 porch) and superscription "I.C.1667/G.B.1843" to outer lintel,
C20 plank door. Position of infilled doorway visible to far left.
Stepped external brick end stack to right has toothed band to top of
base and paired circular shafts with raised lozenge-shaped decoration;
similar integral end stack to left has only one shaft. Interior: timber
frame exposed throughout including to cross-walls; chamfered spine
beams and joists and inglenook fireplaces with wooden lintels to ground-
floor rooms. First floor much altered late C20 but has central collar
and tie beam truss exposed; C19 cast-iron grate to fireplace in left
room. Prominent C20 addition to rear (also with thatch roof) is not
of special architectural interest. Formerly known as Rookery Cottage.
Listing NGR: SJ5299735059
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings