This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.909 / 52°54'32"N
Longitude: -2.7182 / 2°43'5"W
OS Eastings: 351797
OS Northings: 334861
OS Grid: SJ517348
Mapcode National: GBR 7K.NS91
Mapcode Global: WH89W.64WQ
Plus Code: 9C4VW75J+JP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237211
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428427
Location: Whixall, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whixall
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whixall St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHIXALL CP WHITALL
SJ 53 SW
6/214 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1867 by G E Street. Red brick (English bond) with sandstone
ashlar dressings; slate roofs with ornamental cresting and coped verges. Nave
and chancel with full-length north aisle and vestry. Nave: in 4 bays on double-
chamfered plinths; plain 2-light windows with plate tracery and shallow leanto
porch with pointed arch in west bay. West window of 4 broad lancets with
2 roundels and one quatrefoil above. Lead-covered spirelet with louvred
belfry at east end. Lean-to north aisle has 6 broad paired lancets with
trefoil heads and similar window of 3 lights to east; eastern part incorporates
vestry/organ chamber with shouldered arch to doorway. Chancel: in 2 bays on
triple-chamfered plinth has string course and angle buttresses at east end.
South side has lancet to west and window with plate tracery to east. East
window of 3 lancets with sexfoil above. Interior: brickwork exposed with
trussed rafter roofs to nave and chancel, latter boarded. North nave arcade
in 4 pointed bays has circular stone piers with moulded plinths and capping.
Pointed chancel arch-on corbelled responds. Fittings and furnishings including
low stone screen to chancel, altar rails, stone pulpit and early English style,
font at west end with clustered columns all by street. Late C18 or early Cl9
benefactors boards on north wall of north aisle and C17 font come from an
earlier chapel. Font is hexagonal and dated 1608; ornamented with a scalloped
shell, a lion rampant, birds, rosettes and fleur-de-lys; formerly with a
Jacobean font cover. Brass plate in chanel records that present church was
erected in 1867 "in grateful recognition of the character and services of
John Allen, vicar of Prees and Archdeacon of Salop". Whixall was originally a
dependent chapelry of Prees and the site of the previous chapel, which dated
to C17, lies approximately a quarter of a mile to the south (N.G.R SJ 516
344). B.O.E. p.318; D. H. S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 8
Listing NGR: SJ5179734861
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings