History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

22 and 24, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Grantham, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8846 / 52°53'4"N

Longitude: -0.6869 / 0°41'12"W

OS Eastings: 488452

OS Northings: 332715

OS Grid: SK884327

Mapcode National: GBR DQG.156

Mapcode Global: WHGKN.FR3F

Plus Code: 9C4XV8M7+V6

Entry Name: 22 and 24, High Street

Listing Date: 24 September 1979

Last Amended: 14 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382989

Location: Harlaxton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Harlaxton

Built-Up Area: Harlaxton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Harlaxton St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Harlaxton

Listing Text

HARLAXTON
SK8832 HIGH STREET
1315-0/14/184 (West side)
24/09/79 Nos.22 AND 24
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET
Village Store and adjoining house
(west side) to north)
GV II

Estate cottages, now house and shop. Dated 1819, incorporating
an earlier building, with late C20 alterations. Coursed
squared stone and red brick, with pantile roofs. 2 ridge and
single side wall and rear wall brick stacks. 2 storeys plus
-garrets; 5 window range. Half-H plan. Windows are mainly
2-light sliding sashes with segmental heads and leaded
glazing. Central block has three 2-light windows. Below, 3
round arched openings with a central 3-light window with
glazing bars, flanked to right by a boarded door and to left
by a passageway. The right wing has a stone ground floor with
quoins and chamfered plinth. On the lower floors, a late C20
window, and a 2-light window to the garret. Left return has a
2-light window to the lower floors, to left. Left wing has a
renewed 2-light sliding sash to the upper floors, and below, a
C20 single pane window. Right return has a C20 glazed door and
sidelights, and a blank above.
This building is one of those built or altered c1790-1820 by
George de Ligne Gregory, Lord of the Manor of Harlaxton.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 361-362; Rowlands G:
Harlaxton Manor: Harlaxton: 1984-: 20-29).


Listing NGR: SK8845232714

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.