This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2249 / 51°13'29"N
Longitude: 1.3106 / 1°18'38"E
OS Eastings: 631253
OS Northings: 152509
OS Grid: TR312525
Mapcode National: GBR X1T.268
Mapcode Global: VHLGY.NGQV
Plus Code: 9F3368F6+X6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 24 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237109
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428124
Location: Northbourne, Dover, Kent, CT14
Civil Parish: Northbourne
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 35 SW
4/10 Church of
Parish Church. 1853-4 by Salvin. Porch added 1868. Flint and plain
tiled roof. Nave, chancel, north tower and vestry and small south porch.
Round headed windows with details in imitation of St. Nicholas, Barfreston,
except triple, arcaded pointed lancets at east and with wheel window over.
Three stage tower, the lower stage with blank arched recesses, moulded
belfry openings and spirelet. North door with C12 zig-zag moulding and
Christ in a mandorla, quite crudely carved. South doorway with rich
tympanum and capital carving in imitation of Barfreston, and just as
detailed. Byzantine style porch in coloured marbles, with heavy capitals,
billet moulded arch and Canterbury cross in gable. Interior: the
architectural features are the stepping in of the chancel, with a beaded
and roll moulded arch to the tower, and the enriched window surrounds,
with attached shafts and some zig-zag moulding. Roof of 3 king posts
in nave, and trussed rafter roof in chancel. Chancel with string course
and enriched lower wall. Fittings: C13 trecusped piscina on north wall,
and possibly original sedile on south wall. Plain brass altar rail;
painted ceiling. Reredos: 1871, with recesses left and right of central
full relief of the Last Supper. This was possibly carved by the first
Lord Northbourne, who certainly carved parts of the pulpit, of 1854, stone,
with friezes depicting Christ preaching at several different venues, the
scenes carried onto the projecting lectern at one corner. Behind the
pulpit is a relief panel of St. Christopher (similar panels are found
in Betteshanger House). Chandelier in chancel, C18, with 8 branches,
and engraved: Ecclesia nullum tempus occupit. Elsewhere iron candelabra,
probably by Salvin. Royal Arms of William III on nave west wall.. Stained
glass in the nave by Kempe, dated 1891. Monuments: in the nave, Elizabeth
Boys, d.1640, erected 1649. Black and white wall tablet, with arched
surround and pediment shaped head. Laetitia Boys, d.1660, black wall
tablet with swagged base, and broken segmental pediment on cornice. John
James, d.1775. Small white wall tablet with bracketed and enriched side
pieces. White oval wall plaques to John Boys, d.1799 and William Boys,
d. 1781. Edward Boys, d.1827, white and black marble wall tablet with
a sarcophagus and acroteria with urn over, signed Mullane, New Road, London.
C17 style wall plaque early C20, gilded and painted with white and black
marble enriched with strapwork and ribband work, to Henry Lambton (n.d.).
In the chancel: Edward Boys, d.1649, black and white wall plaque with
scrolled apron and swagged and enriched scrolled side pieces supporting
a segmental pediment within a swan necked pediment, with coat of arms over
- John Boys, d.1678, white and black marble wall tablet, with segmental
pediment on Ionic columns with 3 cartouches over.Edward Boys, d.1691. White
oval wall tablet with cherub's head base and swan neck pediment and cartouche
over. There is also a fine black marble floor plaque to John Boys, d.1678,
before the altar. In the tower: a series of poor C19 tablets to Morrice
family, and free standing wall monument to Admiral Salmon Morrice, d.1740.
Signed P. Scheemakers. White marble base with relief of ships in full sail,
and side pieces carved with navigation aids and trophies. Black marble
sarcophagus with inscription, flanked by trophies and a cannon (passing
behind the chest) and crowned with a portrait bust of Morrice with a grey
marble obelisk background with cartouche over. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983,
Listing NGR: TR3150652767
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings