This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7592 / 52°45'33"N
Longitude: 0.2986 / 0°17'54"E
OS Eastings: 555204
OS Northings: 320436
OS Grid: TF552204
Mapcode National: GBR M28.48S
Mapcode Global: WHJNZ.KXD2
Entry Name: Church of Saint Clement
Listing Date: 11 August 1951
Last Amended: 2 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237112
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428313
Location: Terrington St. Clement, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE34
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Terrington St. Clement
Built-Up Area: Terrington St Clement
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Terrington St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Ely
In the entry for TERRINGTON ST. CLEMENT CHURCHGATE STREET
4/4 Church of St. Clement
the address shall be amended to read CHURCHGATE WAY
Church of St. Clement
TERRINGTON ST. CLEMENT CHURCHGATE STREET
TF 52 SE
4/4 Church of St. Clement
Parish church. C13 origin now entirely C15, vestry rebuilt and chancel
restored 1879, further restorations 1887-1902. Ashlar with some carstone.
Leaded roofs. Nave, aisles, transepts and chancel. West front with arched
doorway of 4 orders continuous fleur-de-lys mouldings below string course.
5-light panel tracery west window with 2 tiers cusped transoms is flanked
to right and left by statuary niches with nodding cusped ogee canopies with
crocketed finials. Inside are tiercerons vaults. Polygonal stair turrets
supported by stepped western buttresses rise to panelled parapet and terminate
in pepperpot pinnacles. 3-light aisle west windows with polygonal angle
turrets crowned with spirlets. Diagonal buttresses at corners. Battlemented
nave aisles and clerestory, the crenellations enriched with Perpendicular
panelling. 3-light aisle windows with ogee-headed lights and bifurcating
supermullions. Clerestory of 14 3-light segmental windows of panel tracery
arranged 2 to each bay. Between each window a pilaster strip. On south each
bay defined by pinnacles on parapet repeated on aisle parapet. Nave vault
supported by flying buttresses on first bay from west, thereafter abandoned,
although north buttresses rise above parapet to provide for further flyers.
Remainder of south buttresses are stepped. Gabled south porch with diagonal
south buttresses and one flanking side buttress. Plinth course with punched
decorated roundels. Segmental arched doorway. South face with 2 tiers of
arcaded panelling below frieze of punched roundels. Sundial in gable head.
3-light Perpendicular side windows. Full height transepts with angled
buttresses to east and flat to west. Transepts originally intended with west
aisle for which lozenge piers on tall polygonal bases survive embedded in
walls. South front of south transept fenestrated in 3 tiers : 3 segmental
ground floor windows, the outer 2 with grotesque figure carving over arches;
2 similar windows above; single window at apex. Parapet with spiked wavy
moulded ornament (as ornamentation 100 years out of date so presumably C19).
North transept north facade fenestrated in 2 tiers : 2 arched windows as nave
aisles below similar smaller window under depressed head. Panelled parapet.
Nave clerestory continues into west transept walls and is repeated on east.
East gable of nave pierced by 5-light window. Polygonal rood stair towers
to north and south terminating in cusped arcading below spirelet. Chancel
in 3 bays. High plain base course with string course below windows. At east
end square door to crypt. Stepped buttresses separate 3-light arched windows
with hood mould. Buttresses angled to east. On north 2 western windows
partly obscured by 2 bay crenellated vestry. String course below brick
clerestory : 6 3-light panel tracery windows beneath basket arches with
continuous hood moulds, the west windows on both sides of 2 lights.
Crenellated parapet. 5-light transomed east window. Interior. 7 bay arcade
of octagonal piers on high polygonal bases supporting moulded polygonal
capitals and double chamfered arches. String course below clerestory is
studded with animal or figurative carvings from which rise polygonal shafts
with capitals. These alternately support statuary plinths with ogee cusped
canopies or wall posts of roof. Restored roof of principals on arched braces,
collars and 2 tiers butt purlins. C19 aisle roofs. Arched braces below
principals and one tier butt purlins. Western screen spans nave and aisles
of 1788. 8 plain pilasters below Composite capitals. Ramped and pierced
central double doors and side doors to aisles. Remainder articulated by large
panelling. Over transept arch 7 crocketted ogee niches stepped up to apex
and flanked by shields right and left. 4 crossing arches on piers, the arches
wave moulded, those to chancel on corbels. Chancel piers decorated with
Perpendicular panelling. Masonry vault springers support timber quadrangular
vault. 5-light window over chancel arch. Low pitched chancel roof with
arched braces to principals and one tier butt purlins with ridge piece.
Wall posts drop to stone corbels. Transept roofs and clerestory as nave.
C13 triple arched sedilia in chancel south wall : round shafts with moulded
capitals support trefoiled arches with dog-tooth decoration. Stiff leaf
capitals. Similar double piscina immediately east. Octagonal C15 font.
Engaged columns support panelled bowl with tracery and cusping. C17 font
cover in 2 stages. Lower stage is octagonal drum with clusters of 3 painted
columns supporting carved frieze. This opens to expose interior painted with
landscape scenes and Baptism of Christ. Upper portion of font cover in 3
diminishing tiers of Gothic buttressing, elaborately cusped and pierced
through openwork tracery. Wall monument in chancel north wall to Dorothy
Edwards 1721. Alabaster. Cartouche with achievement, the latter with weeping
cherubs right and left. Below is a wrought iron grill of leaf scrolls
arranged in 2 panels. To west an alabaster wall monument to John and Mary
Ascham 1704. Cartouche with drapery folds and 2 cherubs. Coat of arms above.
North transept has painted panel with the Creed 1635. South transept Psalm
23, also 1635. Royal arms over north door to Queen Anne.
Listing NGR: TF5520420436
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings