This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7591 / 52°45'32"N
Longitude: 0.2975 / 0°17'50"E
OS Eastings: 555131
OS Northings: 320417
OS Grid: TF551204
Mapcode National: GBR M28.402
Mapcode Global: WHJNZ.JXW6
Entry Name: The Church Hall
Listing Date: 3 October 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389388
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488047
Location: Terrington St. Clement, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE34
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Terrington St. Clement
Built-Up Area: Terrington St Clement
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Terrington St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TERRINGTON ST CLEMENT
1856/0/10002 CHURCHGATE WAY
03-OCT-01 The Church Hall
Former school, now church hall. 1818, with extensions of 1861. Built by public subscription on land given by Lord William Pierrepoint Bentinck. Red brick with slate roof and lateral stacks on rear facing road, that to right truncated. T plan with wing to rear facing road. Main front to churchyard. Single storey, with slightly taller central section. 7-window range in all of 3 3-light wooden mullion and transom windows in centre and 2 8/8 sashes either side, all under brick arches. On the roof above the side sections are square louvred lanterns with fleche type roofs. Each end has a doorway and plank door, one with a stone plaque over inscribed 'BOYS' and the other 'GIRLS'. The front facing the road has 2 2/2 sashes on the lower parts, that to right with a plaque 'NATIONAL SCHOOL AD 1861'. In the centre is a C20 lean-to to left and the projecting earlier wing with facing gable. It has a 2/2 sash in the left side, a blocked doorway in the gable end, and a doorway with plank door, 2 sash type windows and 2 blocked openings in the right side.
This former school and schoolmaster's house, which was also an early public dispensary, retains much of the original build of 1818 in the central section and rear wing, has small extensions of 1861 and remains little altered since then. It forms part of a significant group of buildings with the Church of St. Clement (qv) and No.45 Churchgate Way (qv). Included for group value.
Listing NGR: TF5513120417
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings