This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0858 / 52°5'9"N
Longitude: 1.1365 / 1°8'11"E
OS Eastings: 614988
OS Northings: 247696
OS Grid: TM149476
Mapcode National: GBR TMH.65H
Mapcode Global: VHLBL.NT6V
Entry Name: Church of St Mary, Whitton
Listing Date: 26 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428587
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
Electoral Ward/Division: Whitton
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Whitton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 14 NW off CHURCH LANE, WHITTON
9/444 Church of St. Mary, Whitton
2. Parish church. Late C13 origins, largely rebuilt 1852, enlarged 1862, to
include south aisle and south west tower by F Barnes, 1880's. Flint with stone
dressings, plaintile roofs, some with cresting. Nave chancel north and south
aisles, south west tower, north chapel and vestry. South west tower, 3 stages
with spire clasping pilasters with bell bases, in flint with stone dressings;
flush band at 2nd stage, and over south doorway, dentilled cornice beneath
spire. Circa 1300 doorway, reset, to south face; scrollmoulded arch and hood,
shafts with undercut mouldings to caps, single light opening to west face;
2 similar openings to south and west faces of middle stage; 2-light oell openings
in late C13 plate tracery style to upper stage. Stone splay-footed spire with a
tall lucarne to each face, and surmounted by a foliate cross. Nave C19 west window,
3-lights of simple slender tracery. Parapeted west gable surmounted by encircled
stone cross. South aisle 1862, using remains of Church of St. Botolph. 3 bays
with diagonal buttress at each end and straight buttresses between bays; 3 paired
lancets ; quatrefoil to east gable wall, parapeted gable surmounted by stone cross.
North aisle, C19, west window of 2-light plate tracery, 4 bays defined by buttresses
single lancet to each bay; 3 light plate tracery east window of 2 encircled trefoils
beneath encircled cinquefoil ; gable with lugged stonecross, cresting to ridge.
Chancel, 2 bays, diagonal buttresses at east end, straight buttress to south face.
2 2-light plate tracery windows, 3 light east window the main lights surmounted by
2 encircled quatrefoil with encircled trefoil in the apex. Elaborate stone cross
to gable, crested ridge. Vestry and chapel to north. 3 cusped light to east face
of flat-roofed vestry. West doorway to westernmost chapel/ vestry. Stack with
paired polygonal shafts with recessed cusped panels. 3 lancet windows to north.
Interior. 4 bay north arcade of polygonal piers, 3 bay south arcade of drum piers with
polygonal responds, both arcades with double chamfered arches and moulded caps to the
piers. Chancel arch, 2 chamfered orders on polygonal responds with moulded caps.
Nave roof canted and boarded, possibly the original underneath. Chancel, largely
C14 collar after roof with straight braces to the collars, ashlar pieces, richly
moulded cornice to north, but covered to south. Niche to left and right of east
window late C13 style (and possibly original) cusped heads on engaged shafts, beneath
moulded hood. Remains of original piscina with cusped head. 3 bay C19 open arcade
to north wall, polygonal shafts with cusped heads. Morris glass to north-eastern north
aisle window. Circular font bowl with blank arcade on central drum and four outer
shafts. Some fittings, said to come from Sudbury Church,including benches with
halved poppy-head bench ends, above cowled figure heads.
Listing NGR: TM1498847696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings