This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9521 / 52°57'7"N
Longitude: 0.742 / 0°44'31"E
OS Eastings: 584303
OS Northings: 342929
OS Grid: TF843429
Mapcode National: GBR R5N.VTB
Mapcode Global: WHKPK.C2K6
Plus Code: 9F42XP2R+RR
Entry Name: Church of St Clement
Listing Date: 5 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1239094
English Heritage Legacy ID: 416836
Location: Burnham Overy, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
Civil Parish: Burnham Overy
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Burnham Overy St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 84 SW BURNHAM OVERY BURNHAM OVERY TOWN
6/77 Church of St. Clement.
Parish church. C12 Saxon-Norman origins represented by axial tower, made
cruciform c.1200 with north and south transepts; presumably rebuilt nave
with additional north and south aisles, chancel largely rebuilt in C13,
later C15 fenestration, C18 and 1835 restorations. Flint with stone dressings,
brick, lead nave and south aisle roofs, tiled tower and chancel. 3 bay
nave and south aisle with south porch, north aisle demolished, north transept
demolished, south transept incorporated into south aisle, crossing tower,
3 bay chancel. Central axial and later crossing tower has rubble and
conglomerate quoins, squared at upper level. Evidence of later heightening
since removed. Steeper pitch of C12 roof lines reproduced in C20 restoration
with north and south window openings with timber Y tracery windows with
lead glazing bars, east and west openings to pre-1200 roof spaces.
Early C19 brick battlemented parapet with stone copings, hipped roof with
central ogee roofed cupola with weather vane. Nave west front has central
3-light window with c.1835 restoration tracery, 2 west buttresses. South
aisle west front west window C15 with c.1835 domestic wooden framed cross
window with lead glazing bars, drip mould head, gault brick angle buttress.
South aisle south side has one central 3-light and east and west 2-light
c.1835 windows with same details in C15 square drip mould heads. 2 brick
buttresses. South porch C15 with simple 2 centred porch arch, inner arch
C14, continuously chamfered. Nave north side has blocked 3 bay former
north arcade of c.1200 with inserted re-used c.1300 north door, central
2-light switch tracery window perhaps C18, renewed C20, north 3 light
ogee-head switch tracery window, further blocked arch of c.1200 north
transept addition with lancet. Chancel south side has 2 2-light paired
lancets, south central priest's door with sound hole with Early English
quatrefoil with floriated stops,2 east buttresses,3 fine C13 stepped lancets
North side has at east C15 2-light window, central 3-light switch tracery
window, and west 2 light ogee headed "Y" tracery window. Interior: Norman
evidence confined to axial tower with splayed embrasures to north and
south windows and straight sided embrasures to east and west openings
into original roof spaces, now in upper chamber of tower, and to filled
in arch towards chancel with simple stone imposts. C.1200 plain stone
imposts and 2 centred undressed arches to north side of tower, to north
side of nave and as east arch of south transept establish sequence of
rearrangement from nave with axial tower and chancel to nave and aisles
with crossing tower and transepts. Nave south arcade C13 3 bays, with
plain west impost, one circular pier with circular abacus capital with
stiff leaves, pier to east of quatrefoil section with 4 heads to capital,
east half section quatrefoil pier, capital without heads, double hollow
chamfered arches. Blocked north arcade with C14 St. Christopher painting.
Double framed nave roof C15, 6 bays, battlemented wall plates, arched
braced principals with collars and bosses, moulded through and ridge purlins.
Crossing blocked with C18 wall having switch tracery fanlight door.
Commandment boards above signed by churchwardens dated 1747 and 1748.
Stuart Royal Arms above south porch with altered George III monogram.
Octagonal font, perhaps C15. Cut down C18 octagonal panelled goblet pulpit.
South transept with blocked c.1200 east arch with squint corbel support
to rood stairs passage. In tower C15 roof with moulded battlemented wall
plates, 2 arch braced half-principals with traceried spandrels, moulded
central purlin. Chancel has 2 east lancets with deep reveals with internal
shafts with bases, capitals aid arches. South 3 bay arcade c.1300, has
circular piers with bases and capitals, double hollow chamfered arches,
former south chancel aisle beyond demolished. North side has ogee-headed
stone reveals to east and west windows, 2 centred arch reveal to centre.
Good C18 ledger slabs.
Listing NGR: TF8430342929
Other nearby listed buildings