This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9412 / 52°56'28"N
Longitude: 0.7549 / 0°45'17"E
OS Eastings: 585216
OS Northings: 341752
OS Grid: TF852417
Mapcode National: GBR R5V.RMV
Mapcode Global: WHKPK.KBPK
Plus Code: 9F42WQR3+FX
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 5 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1239270
English Heritage Legacy ID: 417110
Location: Burnham Thorpe, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
Civil Parish: Burnham Thorpe
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Burnham Thorpe All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 84 SE BURNHAM THORPE
7/90 Church of All Saints.
Parish church. C13 arcades, C14 aisles, C15 clerestorey, north porch,
chancel, west tower. Rubble, knapped and squared chequer work flint,
stone dressings, C19 pin-tiled roofs. West tower, 4 bay nave and aisles,
north porch, chancel. 3 stage tower, cut stone quoined angle buttresses
to west face, west door, largely C19 recut 4-light Perpendicular west
window, 3 belfry 2-light windows with label stops. Battlemented parapet,
squared and knapped flint, flushwork tracery and shields, crocketted angle
spirelets. North aisle has c.1300 2-light east and west windows, Y-tracery
with trefoil heads and central quatrefoil, 3 2-light Decorated north windows
under depressed arches, 2 north face and one angle buttresses. North
door in east bay. North porch in west bay, Perpendicular. Moulded porch
arch, internal north and south relieving arches suggest position of former
parvis above. 2-light north and south windows, kneelers with figures
2-light Perpendicular windows, label stop heads. South aisle added 1892-
5, same details as north. Chancel has cut-stone plinth, knapped flint
to window height, cut-stone north and south buttresses, 2 buttresses at
angles, at south-east with mass dial. 2 fine north and south 3-light
Perpendicular windows, south priest's door. Fine flushwork and chequerwork
east gable, squared and knapped black flint lower portion white flint
above stone ashlar flushwork. 3 light Flowing tracery east window, perhaps
C19 replacement of original Perpendicular window. One gable and 2 lower
stone ogee niches with bases, vaulted heads, spandrel shields, hood moulds.
Interior. 4 bay C13 Early English north and south arcades, round piers
with moulded bases and capitals, seat bases, double hollow chamfered arches.
Fine Decorated chancel arch, Perpendicular tower arch. 2 bay chancel.
Perpendicular sedilia and piscina under single straight hood mould, 4
crocketted canopies with fleurons in spandrels, demi-figure angel corbels.
Roofs 1892-5, richly arch-braced and wind-braced. C13 Purbeck marble
font with blank arches. North aisle C15 4-centred arch and hood moulded
sepulchre or tomb arched recess with earlier slab tomb, some medieval
tiles. Chancel monuments; fine floor brass 1420 Sir William Calthorpe,
figure in canopied niche. 1803 Rev. Emanuel Nelson, Vicar, by Flaxman;
1841 Anne Everard, 1847 William Everard, by J.G. Lough of London, still
in Flaxman style. Admiral Lord Nelson baptised here by his father.
Listing NGR: TF8521641752
Other nearby listed buildings