History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Towlson Memorial Music Room, School Shop and Domestic Offices at Woodhouse Grove School

A Grade II Listed Building in Rawdon, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8404 / 53°50'25"N

Longitude: -1.7009 / 1°42'3"W

OS Eastings: 419775

OS Northings: 438276

OS Grid: SE197382

Mapcode National: GBR JX0.6X

Mapcode Global: WHC93.VQ6S

Plus Code: 9C5WR7RX+4J

Entry Name: Towlson Memorial Music Room, School Shop and Domestic Offices at Woodhouse Grove School

Listing Date: 7 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1240195

English Heritage Legacy ID: 438303

Location: Rawdon, Leeds, BD10

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Rawdon

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Greengates St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Guiseley

Description

HORSFORTH APPERLEY LANE
SE 13 NE
1495-/7/10002 Towlson Memorial Music Room,
School Shop and Domestic Offices
at Woodhouse Grove School
II

Former barn and coach house with stables. Mid C18, converted 1811,
altered c1900, clock tower added 1902, altered 1964. Coursed stone
with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Quoins. Music room and shop,
formerly barn converted to schoolroom 1811. west gable wall has
blocked former central doorway flanked by single round headed
breathers. Above 2 tall round headed windows, with between a plaque
inscribed "WESLYAN ACADEMY OPENED JANUARY 8 : 1812" and above a clock
face. Above in the gable a further plaque commemorating the addition
of the Turret clock, in 1902. Above the gable, a square clock tower
with corner pilasters, bracketed eaves and a pyramidal roof with
weather vane. South front has 2 rows of breathers and five tall round
headed windows, that to the right now part door. North front has to
left blocked threshing doorway, and 3 round headed windows, plus a 4-
panel door, to the right a 6-panel door and beyond a pair of glazing
bar sashes, above 2 plain sashes. Domestic offices,. formerly coach
house and stables, used as chapel 1811-33. 5 window facade, with
slightly projecting 3 window central section topped by a pediment.
Central doorway now a window, with segmental pediment supported on
brackets, eitherside tall glazing bar windows. 3 blocked square
windows, and above a single inserted window which breaks into the
pediment. Eitherside a single round headed coach entrance, that to
the left masked by a lean-to addition, that to the right containing
a pair of inserted casements with a doorway to the left. Above single
square windows that to the left blocked.


Listing NGR: SE1977538276

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.