History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Woodhouse Grove Methodist Church and School Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Rawdon, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8406 / 53°50'26"N

Longitude: -1.7028 / 1°42'10"W

OS Eastings: 419654

OS Northings: 438305

OS Grid: SE196383

Mapcode National: GBR JW0.TT

Mapcode Global: WHC93.TQBK

Plus Code: 9C5WR7RW+7V

Entry Name: Woodhouse Grove Methodist Church and School Chapel

Listing Date: 25 February 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261143

English Heritage Legacy ID: 438304

Location: Rawdon, Leeds, BD10

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Rawdon

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Greengates St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Guiseley

Description

The following building shall be added:

HORSFORTH APPERLEY LANE
SE 13 NE
1495-/7/10003 Woodhouse Grove Methodist Church
and School Chapel
II

School chapel. 1887. Coursed stone with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs with decorative ridge tiles. Raised coped gables with finials.
Plinth and bands. Gothic Revival style. Nave and apsidal chancel,
with north-west tower and west porch. West front has projecting
gabled porch with pointed arched entrance, with 2 doorways and a
central pier with a blind tracery panel above. Eitherside single
small lancets. Above a tall 3-light pointed arched window with
flanking lancets and hood moulds. Above a small triple lancet in the
gable. To the right a single lancet. To the left, the north-west
tower with a single lancet and above a quatrefoil, the bell stage is
octagonal with a single lancet opening to each face, and above an
octagonal stone spire. The north and south walls have single lancets
alternating with taller 2-light pointed arch windows with gable heads.
Apsidal east end has 3 tall 2-light pointed arch windows. Interior.
Retains most of its original features. Including wooden roof.
Western gallery supported on columns, nave pews, wooden pulpit, choir
stalls, wooden reredos and stained glass in most of the windows.


Listing NGR: SE1965438305

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.