History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Woodhouse Grove School (Main Building)

A Grade II Listed Building in Rawdon, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8401 / 53°50'24"N

Longitude: -1.7003 / 1°42'1"W

OS Eastings: 419815

OS Northings: 438251

OS Grid: SE198382

Mapcode National: GBR JX0.BZ

Mapcode Global: WHC93.VQHY

Plus Code: 9C5WR7RX+3V

Entry Name: Woodhouse Grove School (Main Building)

Listing Date: 25 February 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261142

English Heritage Legacy ID: 438301

Location: Rawdon, Leeds, BD10

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Rawdon

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Greengates St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Guiseley

Description

The following building shall be added:-

HORSFORTH APPERLEY LANE
SE 13 NE
1495-/7/10000 Woodhouse Grove School
(Main Building)
II

Country house, now school. Mid C18, enlarged c1790, converted to
school 1811, addition 1848 and 1854 by Thomas Shaw of Leeds, altered
C20. Dressed stone and ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
2 storey. H-plan. Plinth, band, moulded eaves and parapet. 4 ashlar
stacks. South front, has 11 window centre with higher 3 windows
flanking wings. Central 5 windows section built c1790, with slightly
recessed 3 window centre, and central door. Doorway has later 2
columned porch with 6-panel door, eitherside single glazing bar
sashes, with above, 3 smaller similar sashes. Eitherside slight
single window projections with ground floor sashes in pedimented
surrounds, above single smaller sashes. Eitherside, 3 window wings
of 1848, with ground floor sashes in moulded surrounds, with above
smaller sashes. eitherside taller projecting wings, that to the left
built 1848, that to the right built 1854. Each with 3 tall round
headed windows in moulded surrounds with impost band, above 3 smaller
windows in moulded surrounds with cill band. Dentilated eaves, and
shallow hipped roofs. Return fronts to east and west, 6 windows with
similar fenestration. Rear, mid C18 block, 2 storey, 3 windows,
plinth, raised quoins, eaves band, stone slate roof and tall central
stack. West entrance front has central doorway with plain ashlar
surround and glazed 4-panel door. Eitherside are single Venetian
windows with plain ashlar surrounds. Above a central sash and
eitherside single Venetian windows all with plain surrounds. Rear
east front has sashes and a central Venetian stair window. Interior.
Mid C18 rear block, has many original features including doorcases and
doors. 2 main reception rooms have plaster coving, partial dado
panelling, and paneled window surrounds, south room has good quality
original fireplace. Single flight return staircase has 3 turned
balusters per tread and a moulded hand rail. The mid C19 school block
retains its dining hall, and entrance hall and corridor. This small
country house and estate was purchased in 1811 by the Methodist
Conference to establish their second boarding school particularly for
the education of the sons of itinerant preachers.


Listing NGR: SE1981538251

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.