History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Annfield Plain, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8757 / 54°52'32"N

Longitude: -1.7657 / 1°45'56"W

OS Eastings: 415134

OS Northings: 553457

OS Grid: NZ151534

Mapcode National: GBR JD32.J0

Mapcode Global: WHC41.VQD3

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 21 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1240728

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439238

Location: County Durham, DH9

County: County Durham

Electoral Ward/Division: Burnopfield and Dipton

Built-Up Area: Annfield Plain

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Burnopfield and Dipton

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Ebchester

Listing Text

NZ 15 SE STANLEY A 692 (North side)
Dipton
7/130 Church of St. John
II
Parish church. 1885-6 by Oliver and Leeson; mason William Foster, Durham.
Some restoration of south transept roof and addition of vestry after fire.
Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings, plinth and quoins; roof of purple,
green and blue slates with stone gable copings. Early English style. Nave
with south porch; transepts; crossing tower; chancel with south vestry and
north boiler room and organ chamber. Gabled porch has wide-chamfered open
2-centred arch under dripmould; side buttresses; 2- and 3-light windows in
nave and transepts, stepped 5-light west window and east windows, all in 2-
centred-arched panels; sill string, stepped to west window; west end buttresses
and one nave buttress. Tower has paired 2-light windows with plate tracery
under moulded corbel table and roll-moulded stepped battlemented parapet; high
hipped roof with wrought-iron weather-cock.
Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; arch-braced collared roof
trusses on stone corbels. Wide 2-centred arches at crossing, plain chamfered
plaster to nave and transepts; chancel arch chamfered ashlar with similar inner
corbelled arch, on stop-chamfered responds with impost string. Chamfered 2-
centred rerearches to all windows. Sill string; in chancel, stepped to form
drip over transept door to vestry; mask-stopped drip over vestry door in
chancel. Plain glass in geometric patterns and simple colours. Octagonal
Gothic-style stone font. First World War memorial plaque.
Source: Dipton and Collierly Parish Magazine, April, May and June 1855.


Listing NGR: NZ1513453457


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

NZ 15 SE STANLEY A 692 (North side)
Dipton
7/130 Church of St. John
II
Parish church. 1885-6 by Oliver and Leeson; mason William Foster, Durham.
Some restoration of south transept roof and addition of vestry after fire.
Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings, plinth and quoins; roof of purple,
green and blue slates with stone gable copings. Early English style. Nave
with south porch; transepts; crossing tower; chancel with south vestry and
north boiler room and organ chamber. Gabled porch has wide-chamfered open
2-centred arch under dripmould; side buttresses; 2- and 3-light windows in
nave and transepts, stepped 5-light west window and east windows, all in 2-
centred-arched panels; sill string, stepped to west window; west end buttresses
and one nave buttress. Tower has paired 2-light windows with plate tracery
under moulded corbel table and roll-moulded stepped battlemented parapet; high
hipped roof with wrought-iron weather-cock.
Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; arch-braced collared roof
trusses on stone corbels. Wide 2-centred arches at crossing, plain chamfered
plaster to nave and transepts; chancel arch chamfered ashlar with similar inner
corbelled arch, on stop-chamfered responds with impost string. Chamfered 2-
centred rerearches to all windows. Sill string; in chancel, stepped to form
drip over transept door to vestry; mask-stopped drip over vestry door in
chancel. Plain glass in geometric patterns and simple colours. Octagonal
Gothic-style stone font. First World War memorial plaque.
Source: Dipton and Collierly Parish Magazine, April, May and June 1855.


Listing NGR: NZ1513453457


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.