History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Annfield Plain, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8679 / 54°52'4"N

Longitude: -1.7495 / 1°44'58"W

OS Eastings: 416174

OS Northings: 552598

OS Grid: NZ161525

Mapcode National: GBR JD74.1S

Mapcode Global: WHC42.3X52

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 19 July 1950

Last Amended: 21 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1240951

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439549

Location: Stanley, County Durham, DH9

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Stanley

Built-Up Area: Annfield Plain

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Harelaw and Annfield Plain

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Rowlands Gill

Listing Text

NZ 15 SE STANLEY NORTH ROAD
(West side)
Annfield Plain
7/190 Church of St.Thomas
19/7/50 (Formerly listed as
St Thomas Church, Hare Law)

Parish church. 1840 by G. Jackson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar
plinth and dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave with
south porch; chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. Early English style.
Steeply-gabled porch contains moulded 2-centred shafted arch with recessed
chamfered surround to boarded double doors; deep gable coping has roll-moulded
finial. Lancet windows, mostly paired in 3-bay nave, have drip moulds and
sill string, stepped to sill of 3 stepped east lancets in lower set-back chancel,
and continuing around chamfered coped buttresses, clasping at corners and with
octagonal spirelets on east and west corners. 3 stepped west lancets. Stone
angelus cross. Trefoils in nave gable peaks.
Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings above boarded dado; panelled
chancel dado and reredos; roof trusses have queen and king posts and roll-
moulded corbels; chancel has collared trusses on similar corbels. 2-centred
chancel arch with chamfered inner arch on roll-moulded corbels; richly moulded
corbels support organ arch; pierced panel in west organ chamber wall.
Diagonally-boarded west gallery on cast iron columns. East window second world
war memorial by George Cooper Abbs. Octagonal stone font with pierced ogee
cover, the gift of Dr. A. Thorp of Durham. White and black marble monument of
Thomas and Mary Fenwick, died 1850 and 1856, with open book and anchor in low
relief.
C20 west addition of hall not of interest.


Listing NGR: NZ1617452598

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

NZ 15 SE STANLEY NORTH ROAD
(West side)
Annfield Plain
7/190 Church of St.Thomas
19/7/50 (Formerly listed as
St Thomas Church, Hare Law)

Parish church. 1840 by G. Jackson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar
plinth and dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave with
south porch; chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. Early English style.
Steeply-gabled porch contains moulded 2-centred shafted arch with recessed
chamfered surround to boarded double doors; deep gable coping has roll-moulded
finial. Lancet windows, mostly paired in 3-bay nave, have drip moulds and
sill string, stepped to sill of 3 stepped east lancets in lower set-back chancel,
and continuing around chamfered coped buttresses, clasping at corners and with
octagonal spirelets on east and west corners. 3 stepped west lancets. Stone
angelus cross. Trefoils in nave gable peaks.
Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings above boarded dado; panelled
chancel dado and reredos; roof trusses have queen and king posts and roll-
moulded corbels; chancel has collared trusses on similar corbels. 2-centred
chancel arch with chamfered inner arch on roll-moulded corbels; richly moulded
corbels support organ arch; pierced panel in west organ chamber wall.
Diagonally-boarded west gallery on cast iron columns. East window second world
war memorial by George Cooper Abbs. Octagonal stone font with pierced ogee
cover, the gift of Dr. A. Thorp of Durham. White and black marble monument of
Thomas and Mary Fenwick, died 1850 and 1856, with open book and anchor in low
relief.
C20 west addition of hall not of interest.


Listing NGR: NZ1617452598

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.