History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Public Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Annfield Plain, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8619 / 54°51'42"N

Longitude: -1.7421 / 1°44'31"W

OS Eastings: 416652

OS Northings: 551935

OS Grid: NZ166519

Mapcode National: GBR JD86.MX

Mapcode Global: WHC48.62P3

Entry Name: Public Library

Listing Date: 21 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1240952

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439550

Location: Stanley, County Durham, DH9

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Stanley

Built-Up Area: Annfield Plain

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Harelaw and Annfield Plain

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Lanchester

Listing Text

NZ 15 SE STANLEY NORTH ROAD
(East side)
Annfield Plain
7/191 Public Library
II
Public lending library. 1908 by Edward Cratney of Davidson and Cratney;
Southsen and Johnson contractors; site given by John Wilkinson Taylor, M.P.;
paid for by Andrew Carnegie of Skiko Castle N.B. (copper plaque in entrance).
Sandstone ashlar; incised render left return; roof of graduated purple-grey
slates with red roll-moulded ridge tiles. Baroque style. One storey, 3 wide
bays. Central half-glazed double door and fanlight in keyed round-headed
surround within open-pedimented porch, with labels on panelled pilasters;
similar higher surrounds and dentilled pediments to flanking Diocletian
windows with leaded glazing and sill aprons. Name on labelled inscription over
door in recessed flat-coped central bay; coping stepped over side bays with
pilasters and central blocks above pediments. Dentilled cornice of pediments
continues around corner pilasters and right return; left return partly obscured
by adjacent buildings.
Roof has domed square belfry ventilator with corner pillars.


Listing NGR: NZ1665251935

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

NZ 15 SE STANLEY NORTH ROAD
(East side)
Annfield Plain
7/191 Public Library
II
Public lending library. 1908 by Edward Cratney of Davidson and Cratney;
Southsen and Johnson contractors; site given by John Wilkinson Taylor, M.P.;
paid for by Andrew Carnegie of Skiko Castle N.B. (copper plaque in entrance).
Sandstone ashlar; incised render left return; roof of graduated purple-grey
slates with red roll-moulded ridge tiles. Baroque style. One storey, 3 wide
bays. Central half-glazed double door and fanlight in keyed round-headed
surround within open-pedimented porch, with labels on panelled pilasters;
similar higher surrounds and dentilled pediments to flanking Diocletian
windows with leaded glazing and sill aprons. Name on labelled inscription over
door in recessed flat-coped central bay; coping stepped over side bays with
pilasters and central blocks above pediments. Dentilled cornice of pediments
continues around corner pilasters and right return; left return partly obscured
by adjacent buildings.
Roof has domed square belfry ventilator with corner pillars.


Listing NGR: NZ1665251935

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.