This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2093 / 51°12'33"N
Longitude: -0.5417 / 0°32'30"W
OS Eastings: 501960
OS Northings: 146575
OS Grid: TQ019465
Mapcode National: GBR GF9.1VZ
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.KVGV
Entry Name: Great Tangley Manor great Tangley Manor West
Listing Date: 9 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1241457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 440354
Location: Wonersh, Waverley, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Wonersh
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Wonersh with Blackheath
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04NW WONERSH C.P. SHALFORD ROAD
1/390 Great Tangley
9/3/60 Manor and Great
Manor House on moated site, now divided. C15 core, possible Hall house, with
main portion built by Richard Cayll in 1584. Lord Grantley of Wonersh Park
demolished the south end of the house in the C18. Wickham Flower employed
Philip Webb to restore and extend the house in 1884 and in 1906 Colonel
Hegan Kennard employed Inigo Thomas to build the north wing. Main front
facing south-east is decorative timber frame with whitewashed and render
infill, brick and whitewashed extensions to south, ashlar ground floor and
roughcast above on north wing. Plain tiled roofs, hipped and half-hipped
over extensions and to rear. Entrance front old range - Two storeys with
three gables. Small central gable above porch tied in to bigger gable to
left, largest gable to right and set back. All gables with double jetty,
moulded bressumer across the ground floor. Each gable with moulded barge-
boards, pendant finials and decorative frame, composed of curved diagonal
braces making star shapes, or when four panels are joined, circular frame
intersectedby rectangular pattern. Square corbelled offset stack to left of
left hand gable, further stacks to right, and large multiple stacks to rear
right. Two oriel windows of two tiers of 4 and 5 lights on first floor, each
with moulded brackets and diamond pane glazing. Two flush windows of five
lights on first floor of right hand gable. Projecting 12-light window (two
tiers of 6-lights) with moulded transom to ground floor of left hand gable,
two windows of 10 lights (two by five-lights) to ground floor of right hand
gable. Four centre arched porch entrance in ground floor of centre gable to
panelled porch and studded panelled door. Two windowed range to right with
first floor jettied on bressumer and 5 corbels. Two leaded first floor
windows and one larger ground floor window to right. One oval brick-dressed
window to left. Hipped roof break to left of old range with gabled dormer,
imitation framing on ground floor and two leaded casement windows. Long
entrance tunnel added by Philip Webb with one sandstone and brick wall and
open timber 12-bay arcade on the other, crossing the moat. Gabled end on
braced circle-like timbers. Range to left with large gable and one window
on each floor, panelled offset stack on left hand return front. Rear:-
Mixture of tile hung gable ends and hipped wings. Framing of varying
scantlings, exposed, and some arched braces. Offset stacks to centre and
Interior:- Panelled rooms and some Elizabethan overmantels. R. A. Neville
reported Crown Post roof of original Hall in 1886, and some stones from
earlier building on the site have been found. Original medieval moat water-
filled and incorporated as ornamental garden feature.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.266-7.
P. M. JOHNSTON - SCHEDULE OF SURREY ANTIQUITIES 1913 77-8.
V. C. H. SURREY (1911) VOL III pp.123-4.
S.A.S. BULLETIN NO. 125 MARCH 1976 - Article by A. G. Crocker.
THE ENGLISH HOUSE: H. MUTHESIUS (1979) - Details on the Philip Webb Extensions
of 1893 & 2 interior Pictures.
A. SAINT: RICHARD NORMAN SHAW (1976) Note 11 Chap 6.
N. COOPER: THE OPULENT EYE (1976) Plates 50 & 51
Photographs(1895)of Sitting and Bedrooms.
Listing NGR: TQ0195146573
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings