History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abney Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cheadle Hulme North, Stockport

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3998 / 53°23'59"N

Longitude: -2.2127 / 2°12'45"W

OS Eastings: 385953

OS Northings: 389237

OS Grid: SJ859892

Mapcode National: GBR DYZ3.RZ

Mapcode Global: WHB9V.ZTH1

Entry Name: Abney Hall

Listing Date: 30 June 1975

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1241730

English Heritage Legacy ID: 440930

Location: Stockport, SK8

County: Stockport

Electoral Ward/Division: Cheadle Hulme North

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Cheadle St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Cheadle

Listing Text

SJ 88 NE CHEADLE MANCHESTER ROAD
(north-east
side)

5/36 Abney Hall
30.6.75

G.V. II*


Large house now school of languages. North-west corner 1847
for A. Orrell, neo-Norman; south and south-east 1849
probably by Travis and Mangnall for James Watt, Tudor-
Gothic; south-east corner 1894 by G. F. Armitage of
Altrincham. Flemish bond brick with sandstone dressings and
slate roof. Large irregular house with 2 storeys plus
attics. Heavily enriched neo-Norman entrance portal with
elaborate cusped arcade at first floor, neo-Norman niche and
coped gable. Wings project slightly on either side and have
large mullion and transom windows with arched (left) and
cusped (right) lights, enriched band, continuous hoodmoulds,
statue niches and pinnacled coped gables. The garden
elevation (south), apart from a series of 7 irregular gables
has square, triangular and polygonal bay windows, a 2-storey
bow window, gargoyles, weather-vanes, numerous elaborate
chimney shafts and a 5-bay single-storey addition of 1894 in
ashlar with 5 stepped gables, mullion and transom windows
and a large central niche. Interior: even more sumptuous,
the work carried out by J. G. Crace between 1852 and 1857,
much of it to designs by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.
Heavily carved open-well staircase with arched braces carrying a panelled ceiling.
Landing lantern on ribs and tierceron ribs on the Ely
octagon pattern. Drawing room with Puginesque richness,
panelled pendant ceiling, papier-maché doorcases, white
marble chimney piece and chandelier by Hardman. Music room
with huge inglenook fireplace and heraldic stained glass of
1894. Generally a Puginian Gothic interior of extaordinary
quality executed by Grace who may have been the greatest
interior decorator of his day.


Listing NGR: SJ8595389237

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.