This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5387 / 50°32'19"N
Longitude: -3.839 / 3°50'20"W
OS Eastings: 269782
OS Northings: 72606
OS Grid: SX697726
Mapcode National: GBR QC.7HL2
Mapcode Global: FRA 27VM.VLR
Entry Name: Higher Tor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1260392
English Heritage Legacy ID: 440890
Location: Widecombe in the Moor, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Widecombe in the Moor
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Leusdon St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 67 SE THE-MOOR
5/172 Higher Tor Farmhouse
House, formerly a longhouse. Late medieval, with additions. Badly damaged by fire
in 1982, but has been carefully restored. Granite rubble. Thatched roof, hipped at
left-hand end; added range to right is part-slated and part-covered with corrugated
iron. Granite chimneystack with tapered top (heating former hall) on ridge towards
right-hand end. 3-room and through-passage plan, the former shippon occupying the
lower room to left. The plan is highly unusual for Devon in having its hall
fireplace at the upper end, instead of backing on to the through-passage; the inner
room, to right, has no fireplace. In front of the hall is a lean-to projection,
probably a later addition. 2 storeys; lean-to single-storeyed. House part is 2
windows wide; all windows have C20 wood casements. Stone entrance porch with pent
roof. Former shippon has separate door with plain granite lintel; ventilation slit
to left of it. Addition at right-hand end seems to have been a linhay, judging by
the granite post in the centre. To right of this is a gabled projection with a
flight of old stone steps in front.
Interior : front door has a cambered wood lintel internally. Stone wall between
passage and hall. Latter has fireplace with splayed granite jambs and ovolo-moulded
wood lintel carved with the initials and date RH 1632; oven in back of fireplace.
Upper-floor beams over hall are chamfered with straight-cut stops; joists have
scratch mouldings. Door to inner room has cranked wooden head. Stair to upper
floor is on rear side of stack; bottom step is of granite. Roof retains 4 raised
cruck trusses, 1 over the shippon and 3 over the hall; the feet of the shippon
crucks reach almost to the ground. The crucks, ridge and common rafters are of
primitive appearance, being merely roughly trimmed tree-trunks. The blades do not
meet at the apex, but are linked by a yoke passing through each blade a little way
below the top, this carrying the ridge; the yoke is held in position by a peg
passing vertically through it each side, just beyond the outer edge of the blade.
The thatch formerly had a layer of wattles on the underside, both these and the
roof-timbers being blackened from the use of an open hearth. Presumably, therefore,
this originated as a single-storeyed structure, the hall stack and upper floor
probably being inserted in 1632.
The house was recorded while it was still an unconverted longhouse. It is discussed
(with a plan) in 1) M W Barley, The English Farmhouse and Cottage, 1961, p.110 (fig
17B), 2) E Mercer, English Vernacular Houses, 1975, p.151 (no. 90).
Listing NGR: SX6978272606
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings