History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill Bark

A Grade II* Listed Building in Greasby, Frankby and Irby, Wirral

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.3632 / 53°21'47"N

Longitude: -3.1379 / 3°8'16"W

OS Eastings: 324373

OS Northings: 385749

OS Grid: SJ243857

Mapcode National: GBR 6YJK.G3

Mapcode Global: WH766.RQYL

Plus Code: 9C5R9V76+7R

Entry Name: Hill Bark

Listing Date: 5 June 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242748

English Heritage Legacy ID: 443648

Location: Greasby, Frankby and Irby, Wirral, CH48

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Greasby, Frankby and Irby

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Frankby St John the Divine

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
West Kirby


In the entry for:-

(South side)
4/27 Frankby
Hill Bark

The grade shall be amended to read:-

(South side)
4/27 Frankby
Hill Bark



(south side)

4/27 Hill Bark

- II

House, now old people's home. 1891, re-erected 1929-31. By
Grayson and Ould. Timber frame on stone base with brick and
stone stacks and stone slate roof. U-plan with service wing
to north. Decorative timber-frame panels, good carved
details, inscriptions and bargeboards. East facade has
return wings forming courtyard. Central 2-storey gabled
porch. Recessed gabled bay to left and 2 polygonal bays to
angle (c.f Little Moreton Hall Cheshire) which have gablets,
both these bays and porch have coved jetties. Large gabled
bay to right of porch and smaller recessed gabled bay. Left
return has large brick and stone lateral stack with twisted
shafts and fire windows. Right return of 4 bays has 2
projecting bays, one with jettied gabled half-dormers, one
jettied arch gabled. End bay of 3 storeys with jettied
upper floor and gabled half-dormer. Gable end of left wing
has coved jettied 1st floor and gable; 1st floor oriel.
Windows generally have ovolo mullions and transoms. North
wing of 4 bays, the 1st 2 of 3 storeys with 2nd floor oriels
and gables, end 2 bays of 2 storeys, jettied 1st floor and
gables. Left return has large lateral stack with stone
panelling, some timber traceried windows to 1st and 2nd
bays, 3rd bay projects, 1st floor oriel with rich carving;
end 3 bays have richly carved half-dormers. Right return
simpler with shingling and lateral stack. Rear has 2 gabled
bays, 3rd bay projects with return lateral stack and
rectangular bay window, 4th gabled bay has large 12-light
window to rear hall. End 2 bays have canted bays and
jettied gable 1st floors with oriels. Decorative lead
guttering and down pipes. Interior has great hall with
organ gallery and open roof. Chimney piece dated C15.
Linenfold panelling to organ and Morris and Co. window,
1984, open screen beneath gallery. Panelled hall has stair
with twisted balusters. Many good fireplaces and panelling.
Billiard room (now partitioned) and library have plaster
ceilings. Originally built as Bidston Court at Bidston but
dismantled and re-erected at present site 1929-31 by Rees
and Holt.

Listing NGR: SJ2485685883

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.