This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.39 / 53°23'23"N
Longitude: -3.1806 / 3°10'50"W
OS Eastings: 321583
OS Northings: 388777
OS Grid: SJ215887
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y77.6H
Mapcode Global: WH766.31QZ
Plus Code: 9C5R9RQ9+XQ
Entry Name: Hoylake Chapel
Listing Date: 28 January 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445106
Location: Wirral, CH47
Electoral Ward/Division: Hoylake and Meols
Built-Up Area: Hoylake
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Hoylake St Hildeburgh
Church of England Diocese: Chester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/04/2018
SJ 28 NW
(Formerly listed as: HOYLAKE, STATION ROAD, United Reform Church)
United Reform (originally Congregational) Church, redundant at time of inspection (January, 1991). 1905-6, designed by Douglas & Minshull. Soft red brick in English garden band with sandstone plinth and dressings, Westmoreland slate roof. The interior is entirely clad in sandstone ashlar. Nave of five bays with aisles, entrances to north west and south west (the latter entered through a diagonally-set porch), transepts and polygonal apse to east. A second north entrance from a low range that connects with a church hall (1884) in a simple lancet style. A fleche over the crossing was not replaced after war damage.
EXTERIOR: broad west front flanked by crocketted pinnacles; buttresses with several set-offs; six-light window with two principal mullions and free-Perpendicular tracery; the hood and sill moulds continue to enclose a wide band of sandstone and three shallow niches to either side. Porch with pronounced coped parapet stepped above moulded original arched doorway. Side elevations (to nave and aisles): buttresses with several set-offs and gables, battered to aisles; three-light clerestory windows, simple lancets to aisles with shaped heads. South organ chamber and transept staggered, the former with elaborate datestone (1905) flanked by windows. Large south window similar to east. Two- and three-light windows to apse.
INTERIOR: the west arches of the arcades lower (to mark entrances); narrow aisles. Moulded arches die into piers. Deeply recessed clerestory windows. Aisle windows with jambs between corbelled. Hammer-beam roof. Full-height transept arches. Furnishings: woodwork by James Merritt: simple benches with carved ends; pulpit, an irregular polygon with recessed facets under open tracery and with elaborate stair. East end with dado and stalls. All the above are wooden. Stone font, curved bowl with large buttresses at cardinal prints. Black and white marble floor to east end.
Glass: three apse windows by H Gustave Hiller (1922) with scenes of the Nativity, the Empty Towns and Ascension with groups of angels above (Jerusalem to centre light). Amongst the furnishings the pulpit, font and glass are noteworthy.
A good example of a quiet and well-proportioned church of its date, and an important late work of the important architect, John Douglas.
Listing NGR: SJ2158388777
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings