History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Hilary

A Grade II Listed Building in Wallasey, Wirral

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4217 / 53°25'18"N

Longitude: -3.0602 / 3°3'36"W

OS Eastings: 329643

OS Northings: 392178

OS Grid: SJ296921

Mapcode National: GBR 7X2W.84

Mapcode Global: WH761.Y8Y6

Entry Name: Church of St Hilary

Listing Date: 20 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242754

English Heritage Legacy ID: 443661

Location: Wirral, CH45

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Wallasey

Built-Up Area: Wallasey

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Wallasey St Hilary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Wallasey

Listing Text

SJ 29 SE WALLASEY CLAREMOUNT ROAD
(west side)
Wallasey

2/40 Church of
- St. Hilary

G.V. II


Church. 1858-9. By W. and J. Hay. Stone and slate roof
with fish scale bands. Nave with aisles under lean-to roof,
crossing tower and transepts, chancel with north vestry and
south chapel. 4-bay nave has 3-light segmental-pointed
windows between buttresses to aisles, north and south gabled
porches with entrances of one order. Clerestory has
segmental-pointed windows of 2 ogee-headed lights. West
front has entrance of 2 orders with dog-tooth moulding
approached by steps; 4-light window with Decorated tracery
between weathered buttresses and 2-light aisle windows.
Transepts have 2 windows of 2 lights and rose window above,
2-light east windows. Tower has octagonal north east turret
rising above parapet. Bell stage has angle buttresses and
paired 2-light louvred bell openings, ball flower cornice
and embattled parapet with gargoyles. Top stage of turret
has small lights, Chancel has diagonal buttresses, 5-light
east window and 2-light windows to north and south. Vestry
has lateral stack, 3-light window with similar one above to
east, and extension dated 1923. Interior: Nave arcades have
hexagonal piers, which retain gas pipes; arch-braced roof on
wall shafts. Font has bowl on central pier and 4 piers to
angles. Chancel has 2-bay organ loft to north and 2-bay
chapel arcade to south. Sedilia with nodding ogee heads and
piscina set in pinnacle to south, piscina with nodding ogee
head to north. Timber reredos with rich carving. Stalls
dated 1897, Arts and Crafts ornament and enamel plaques.
Timber screen to chapel. The church is a prominent landmark
in north west Wirral.


Listing NGR: SJ2964392178

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SJ 29 SE WALLASEY CLAREMOUNT ROAD
(west side)
Wallasey

2/40 Church of
- St. Hilary

G.V. II


Church. 1858-9. By W. and J. Hay. Stone and slate roof
with fish scale bands. Nave with aisles under lean-to roof,
crossing tower and transepts, chancel with north vestry and
south chapel. 4-bay nave has 3-light segmental-pointed
windows between buttresses to aisles, north and south gabled
porches with entrances of one order. Clerestory has
segmental-pointed windows of 2 ogee-headed lights. West
front has entrance of 2 orders with dog-tooth moulding
approached by steps; 4-light window with Decorated tracery
between weathered buttresses and 2-light aisle windows.
Transepts have 2 windows of 2 lights and rose window above,
2-light east windows. Tower has octagonal north east turret
rising above parapet. Bell stage has angle buttresses and
paired 2-light louvred bell openings, ball flower cornice
and embattled parapet with gargoyles. Top stage of turret
has small lights, Chancel has diagonal buttresses, 5-light
east window and 2-light windows to north and south. Vestry
has lateral stack, 3-light window with similar one above to
east, and extension dated 1923. Interior: Nave arcades have
hexagonal piers, which retain gas pipes; arch-braced roof on
wall shafts. Font has bowl on central pier and 4 piers to
angles. Chancel has 2-bay organ loft to north and 2-bay
chapel arcade to south. Sedilia with nodding ogee heads and
piscina set in pinnacle to south, piscina with nodding ogee
head to north. Timber reredos with rich carving. Stalls
dated 1897, Arts and Crafts ornament and enamel plaques.
Timber screen to chapel. The church is a prominent landmark
in north west Wirral.


Listing NGR: SJ2964392178

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.