This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4215 / 51°25'17"N
Longitude: -1.7299 / 1°43'47"W
OS Eastings: 418875
OS Northings: 169196
OS Grid: SU188691
Mapcode National: GBR 4X2.TQ6
Mapcode Global: VHB46.YJTN
Plus Code: 9C3WC7CC+H2
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 21 October 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242852
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310346
Location: Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Marlborough
Built-Up Area: Marlborough
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
The Town Hall
SU 1869 1/1
1902 C E Ponting Architect. Freehandling of William and Mary and Renaissance
styles. 2 storeys, brick plinth with brick ground floor and roughcast lst floor
with brick quoins and dressings. String courses of brick. Steep pitch tiled
roof with projecting bracketed moulded cornice. Domed arcaded lantern on ridge.
Pedimented dormers. Main front is side elevation facing down High Street. Elaborate
stone centrepiece with paired squat Doric columns on pedestals with vertical
entablatures as imposts to entrance arch with keystones. Heavy scrolled brackets
above to large renaissance bay windows with mullioned transomed lights, balcony
and parapet balustrade. Elaborate stone armorial feature above. Either side
of entrance on ground floor are large round headed windows with stone imposts
architrave and keystone, inset panelled balustrade below sills. Dominating position
closing High Street vista.
The Town Hall form a group with Nos 1 to 12 (consec) and Nos 131 to 144
(consec) and Midland Bank.
Listing NGR: SU1888069196
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings