This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.067 / 51°4'1"N
Longitude: -1.7919 / 1°47'30"W
OS Eastings: 414679
OS Northings: 129761
OS Grid: SU146297
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.3S9
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.FRD
Plus Code: 9C3W3685+R7
Entry Name: Trinity Almshouses trinity Hospital
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243305
English Heritage Legacy ID: 447004
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1594 (North Side)
[Nos 1 to 13 (consec)
SU 1429 NE 4/142 28.2.52.
Founded in 1379 by Agnes Bottenham. Rebuilt in 1702. 2 storeys and attic,
brick, projecting plinth with splayed stone capping. Projecting stone quoins,
stone band at 1st floor level. Wood moulded and modillioned eaves cornice,
steep pitched old tile roof, 2 tall symmetrical chimney stacks.
2 hipped dormer windows with lattice leaded casements and tile hung cheeks.
6 windows and central panel with sundial at 1st floor level.
6 windows and central door ground floor.
All windows except those flanking door are 2 light stone mullioned windows
with stone architrave surrounds. The windows flanking doorway are 1-light
6 flush panelled double door in stone architrave surround with plain frieze
and small moulded cornice with curved broken pediment over. The stone band
at 1st floor level is swept up and broken for the pediment. The stone sundial
panel is the same height as 1st floor windows with bolection architrave surround
and sundial in top half. The doorway opens into a paved loggia with 3 arches
and stone Doric columns. Seats are arranged round the walls.
The courtyard, 2 storeys and attic, brick projecting plinth, stone band at
1st floor level, coved and moulded eaves cornice, old tile roof.
2 4 light mullioned and transomed windows at 1st floor over loggia lighting
the Board Room - interior may be of interest.
Sides of courtyard. 2 hipped dormer windows with tile hung cheeks. 6 windows
in 1st floor. 4 windows and 2 doorways in corners on ground floor.
Wide doorways with heavy moulded frames and flat 3-centred arches. Oak contemporary
staircases and panelled oak doors inside. The Chapel opposite the loggia has
a small bracketed pediment and a wooden clock turret on apex of roof with bracketed
cornice and concave, hipped, leaded roof with flat octagonal finial with curved
Central door 6-panelled in bolection moulded surround. Panelled pilasters,
plain frieze, small moulded cornice broken round carved scroll brackets with
curved broken pediment over with central cartouche. Doorway flanked by tall,
narrow, arched, leaded windows with moulded architrave surrounds and key blocks.
Interior of chapel has contemporary screen, panelled pews and cornice on carved
brackets. Cast lead sink to pump in courtyard dated 1809.
Nos 13 to 17 (odd) form a group with Trinity Hospital.
Listing NGR: SU1466529753
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings