This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3616 / 51°21'41"N
Longitude: -1.9745 / 1°58'28"W
OS Eastings: 401868
OS Northings: 162505
OS Grid: SU018625
Mapcode National: GBR 2TV.KLL
Mapcode Global: VHB4G.Q1HJ
Plus Code: 9C3W926G+J5
Entry Name: Former Keep and Attached Wall and Gateway, Le Marchant Barracks
Listing Date: 3 April 1987
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243314
English Heritage Legacy ID: 447034
Location: Bishops Cannings, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Roundway
Built-Up Area: Devizes
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Cannings and Etchilhampton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 06 SW ROUNDWAY LONDON ROAD
(South East side)
1383/5/209 Former Keep and attached wall and gateway, Le 03.04.1987 Marchant barracks
Armoury, guard house and store, now part warehouse. Dated 1878, designed at the War Office by Major HC Seddon RE. Red brick with limestone and stone dressings; lateral stacks and asphalt roof. Fortress Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: square, with ground-floor guard room and detention cells, corner stairs, stores on the upper floors.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys; 5-window range. A regular, square block with opposite square stair towers rising above the roof, other two corners chamfered, with raised parapets, stone sill and lintel bands, dentil eaves and crenellated parapet. Battered ground floor to a weathered band, narrow metal-framed windows with stone lintels, stepped in threes to the stair tower. A glazed iron verandah over the entrance to the former guard room. To the rear is a double door formerly for the barracks fire engine.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but noted as having a fire-proof frame of iron columns to jack arches, stone open-well stairs, and a standard layout of stores and other rooms.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wicket gateway with an iron gate, and one of originally two gate piers forming the main entrance to the barracks.
HISTORY: the Keep was a secure armoury, store, guard house and lock-up, and the characteristic building of the Localisation depots. These were part of the Cardwell reforms, which redistributed barracks around the country to encourage local connections and assist recruitment. As such, the Keep raised the local profile of the barracks, and provided an emblematic focus for the local Wiltshire regiment, whose home this was from 1878 until 1967. With the similar version at Reading, one of only ten surviving examples of this important symbolic building.
(Watson Colonel Sir HM: History of the Corps of Royal Engineers: Chatham: 1954-: 157-160).
Listing NGR: SU0186862505
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings