History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Huddersfield Narrow Canal Waterways Depot at Se 0407 1198

A Grade II Listed Building in Colne Valley, Kirklees

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6044 / 53°36'15"N

Longitude: -1.9398 / 1°56'23"W

OS Eastings: 404078

OS Northings: 411984

OS Grid: SE040119

Mapcode National: GBR GVWR.TN

Mapcode Global: WHB91.5NJN

Entry Name: Huddersfield Narrow Canal Waterways Depot at Se 0407 1198

Listing Date: 20 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243465

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447323

Location: Kirklees, HD7

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Colne Valley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Marsden St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Marsden

Listing Text

COLNE VALLEY
SE 04 11 HUDDERSFIELD NARROW CANAL, Marsden

391-0/14/10008 Waterways Depot at SE 0407 1198

GV II

Waterways depot, formerly Huddersfield Canal Company warehouse. Early C19, with later alterations. Hammer dressed stone and pitched slate roof. Stone chimney stack at north gable ridge end; later red brick stack set central east slope. Two-storey block with nine ranges if lintelled windows with glazing bars, and slightly later extension to the north end, with ground level large segmental-headed window, symmetrical on both east and west facades, doorway and C20 replacement windows. Upper extension has two windows with glazing bars and nine panes. Gable end onto the canal of three storeys. Ground level semicircular 'boat hole' portal, covered with sliding wooden doors. Smaller lower segmental arch now infilled with brick. First storey floor has central stone-fu1rned wooden loading door, and two lintelled windows on each side. Second storey central wooden loading door with round stone keystone arch and jambs, with a lintelled window on each side. Sole survivor of three large warehouses owned by the Canal Company before 1830. (The others being at Woolroad and Stalybridge and no longer remaining). Interior: large open former dock area with copings of infilled dock visible. Wooden upper floors carried on large wooden beams, supported by cast iron posts. Industrial king post and purlin roof system. A rare example of a 'boat hole' type warehouse with an internal dock.

Listing NGR: SE0407811984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.