History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chest Tomb Approximately 3 Metres South East of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Upton Hellions, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8177 / 50°49'3"N

Longitude: -3.645 / 3°38'42"W

OS Eastings: 284212

OS Northings: 103303

OS Grid: SS842033

Mapcode National: GBR L9.XVSP

Mapcode Global: FRA 367Y.5R3

Entry Name: Chest Tomb Approximately 3 Metres South East of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 20 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243636

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447511

Location: Upton Hellions, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Upton Hellions

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Sandford St Swithin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Stockleigh Pomeroy

Listing Text

SS 80 SW UPTON HELLIONS CHURCH LANE

3/289 Chest tomb approximately 3
metres south-east of Church of
St Mary

GV II


Chest tomb. Circa 1823 for William Dicker of Haske. Portland stone on granite
plinth. Rectangular in plan with moulded base and flat lid with reeded edges, it
has clasping pilasters with sunken panels on each corner and recessed sides. The
south side records the burial of William Dicker of Haske in 1823 and the other
sides record memorials to his wife, Elizabeth (died 1831), their children and
grandchildren. The granite plinth includes the settings for an enclosing iron
fence, since removed.


Listing NGR: SS8421203303

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SS 80 SW UPTON HELLIONS CHURCH LANE

3/289 Chest tomb approximately 3
metres south-east of Church of
St Mary

GV II


Chest tomb. Circa 1823 for William Dicker of Haske. Portland stone on granite
plinth. Rectangular in plan with moulded base and flat lid with reeded edges, it
has clasping pilasters with sunken panels on each corner and recessed sides. The
south side records the burial of William Dicker of Haske in 1823 and the other
sides record memorials to his wife, Elizabeth (died 1831), their children and
grandchildren. The granite plinth includes the settings for an enclosing iron
fence, since removed.


Listing NGR: SS8421203303

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.