This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.093 / 51°5'34"N
Longitude: -0.7118 / 0°42'42"W
OS Eastings: 490307
OS Northings: 133422
OS Grid: SU903334
Mapcode National: GBR DCS.DVD
Mapcode Global: FRA 96D7.GHG
Plus Code: 9C3X37VQ+67
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 19 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243899
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448383
Location: Haslemere, Waverley, Surrey, GU27
Civil Parish: Haslemere
Built-Up Area: Haslemere
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Haslemere
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
915/1/10 CHURCH GREEN
19-SEP-1977 CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
Church, sited in a residential area, set in a large churchyard, associated with a former school. Tower probably C13, remainder mostly a rebuilding by J. W. Penfold in Early English style.
Exterior: Rock-faced rubble with tiled roofs. Old headstones have been cut into the nave walling. W tower, probably C13. Nave and chancel with 4-bay N and S aisles, separately roofed. SW porch. NE organ chamber and, to its E a later vestry projecting forward from the E wall of the church. The church is linked to a former school, now containing the parish office, on the SE side. Buttressed chancel with a stepped triple lancet. The S side of the chancel has 2 pairs of lancets and 2 probably late C19 gabled roof dormers of a domestic character with carved bargeboards and pairs of trefoil-headed timber windows. Buttressed aisles, the S aisle with a stepped triple lancet E window in the W end and 2-light plate-traceried S windows. Both aisles have a pair of lancets and quatrefoil above in their W ends. The N aisle has one lancet and plate traceried 2-light windows. A low probably C20 timber-framed porch block with hipped roof off the N wall of the aisle at its E end is connected to a link to the former school. Very plain W tower with small chamfered windows and one large lancet in the W wall. The belfry stage is later and has a pyramidal roof with a weathervane. Between the N wall of the tower and the N aisle a section of walling contains 2 doorways, one over the other, with a probably C20 flight of steps across the W wall giving access to the upper doorway. The NE vestry block has rainwater head dated 1888 but has evidently been extended later. A stack with paired polygonal chimney shafts rises against the N wall of the chancel. Late C19 or early C20 timber-framed porch with open traceried sides with later glazing. A secondary screen wall with doorway divides the porch into two.
Interior: Moulded C19 chancel arch on marble shafts on stone bases. C19 double-chamfered tower arch. Arcades with circular piers with moulded capitals and very wide double-chamfered arches. Good open crown post roof to the nave with moulded tie beams, the crown post with 2-way bracing. The aisle roofs are arch braced. The chancel roof is arch braced. The dormer windows in the chancel probably post-date the roof as the rafters extend across the openings. The E window has internal marble shafts to the openings. Reredos of three mosaic panels in a stone frame decorated with fleurons. Polychromatic alabaster and marble dado decorated with lozenges extends across the E wall on either side of the reredos. Conventional brass and timber sanctuary rail; encaustic tiles to the chancel floor. Probable late C19 choir stalls with shouldered ends, finials and frontals with a frieze of pierced trefoils. C20 choir stalls in the SE end of the S aisle. Late C19 or early C20 polygonal timber pulpit with linenfold panelled sides. Unusual 1870 polychromatic marble font with a deep moulded bowl on a short shaft with a carved capital and taller corner shafts with capitals. C19 nave benches with chunky curved ends. Gothic organ case incorporates a fine and unusual c.1900 Morris and Co tapestry of angel musicians. Panels of probably C17 Flemish glass leaded into the W window of the N aisle. Tennyson memorial window illustrating the Holy Grail by Morris and Co., designed Burne-Jones, 'dedicated by some friends and neighbours in Haslemere'. Many other C19 stained glass windows, some, including S chancel windows, of very good quality. Several early C19 and later wall plaques. Enormous alabaster wall monument to James Stewart Hodgson, d. 1899, in the chancel with 3 female figures carved in relief, signed P Cockerell and A Fabrucci.
St Bartholomew's, Waverley retains its probably C13 west tower, but it was substantially rebuilt in 1871 in the Early English style by J. W. Penfold. It has a number of interesting internal features including its good open crown post roof to the nave, a polychromatic font of 1870 and of greatest interest, a Tennyson memorial window designed by Burne-Jones and a fine tapestry on the organ chest depicting angel musicians by Morris and Co.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings