History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Lane Mill rawson's Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7334 / 53°44'0"N

Longitude: -1.8708 / 1°52'15"W

OS Eastings: 408617

OS Northings: 426341

OS Grid: SE086263

Mapcode National: GBR HTC8.RF

Mapcode Global: WHC9M.7FC8

Entry Name: Old Lane Mill rawson's Mill

Listing Date: 12 April 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244144

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447661

Location: Calderdale, HX3

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Halifax The Minster Church of St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Halifax

Listing Text

OLD LANE
SE 0826 SE
679-/10/10059
(West side)
Old one Mill, or
Rawson's Mill
GV 11*
Worsted mill. 1825-28. Built for James Ackroyd, and acquired by the Rawson family in
1836. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings and corrugated asbestos roof 6 storeys
plus attic. L-plan. 15 by 5 windows, with projecting 4 window wing to right. Classical
style. South front has to left a tall, segment headed, engine house window, with rusticated
ashlar surround. To the right 9 windows on 3 floors, and above 11 windows on 3 further
floors. Projecting office and stair wing to right, with a large loading entrance with
rusticated ashlar surround, flanked by single blocked windows, above 4 windows to each
of the 5 floors. This wing is topped by a plain pediment with a circular clock face. East
front 5 windows, plus 2 windows. To the left 2 windows to each floor, to the right the
5 window gabled front has a central row of 7 loading doors, with 2 windows on
eitherside, apart from the top floor in the gable which has single flanking windows. North
front has 7 windows eitherside of the central projecting, canted latrine tower. Interior:
has iron "fire proof' construction. 2 rows of circular iron columns support cast iron beams
of parabolic web, parallel flange inverted "T" section design. These support shallow brick
arches and stone flagged floors. The roof has 14 cast iron, arched trusses. Each truss is
made up of 4 sections bolted together, and they support cast iron purlins and cast iron
common rafters which are racked to support original wooden laths. The engine house
occupies the full width of the mill, at the west end, with panelled reveal to the window
and a decorative plaster ceiling. A large semi-circular recess once housed the large
flywheel. This building is listed because it is the oldest and largest surviving example of
a multi-storey, steam-powered, iron-framed textile mill in the important textile centre of
Halifax, it is probably also the best preserved example for its date in Yorkshire.


Listing NGR: SE0861726341

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

OLD LANE
SE 0826 SE
679-/10/10059
(West side)
Old one Mill, or
Rawson's Mill
GV 11*
Worsted mill. 1825-28. Built for James Ackroyd, and acquired by the Rawson family in
1836. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings and corrugated asbestos roof 6 storeys
plus attic. L-plan. 15 by 5 windows, with projecting 4 window wing to right. Classical
style. South front has to left a tall, segment headed, engine house window, with rusticated
ashlar surround. To the right 9 windows on 3 floors, and above 11 windows on 3 further
floors. Projecting office and stair wing to right, with a large loading entrance with
rusticated ashlar surround, flanked by single blocked windows, above 4 windows to each
of the 5 floors. This wing is topped by a plain pediment with a circular clock face. East
front 5 windows, plus 2 windows. To the left 2 windows to each floor, to the right the
5 window gabled front has a central row of 7 loading doors, with 2 windows on
eitherside, apart from the top floor in the gable which has single flanking windows. North
front has 7 windows eitherside of the central projecting, canted latrine tower. Interior:
has iron "fire proof' construction. 2 rows of circular iron columns support cast iron beams
of parabolic web, parallel flange inverted "T" section design. These support shallow brick
arches and stone flagged floors. The roof has 14 cast iron, arched trusses. Each truss is
made up of 4 sections bolted together, and they support cast iron purlins and cast iron
common rafters which are racked to support original wooden laths. The engine house
occupies the full width of the mill, at the west end, with panelled reveal to the window
and a decorative plaster ceiling. A large semi-circular recess once housed the large
flywheel. This building is listed because it is the oldest and largest surviving example of
a multi-storey, steam-powered, iron-framed textile mill in the important textile centre of
Halifax, it is probably also the best preserved example for its date in Yorkshire.


Listing NGR: SE0861726341

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.