History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Cricket Ball Factory in the Grounds of the Paddocks

A Grade II Listed Building in Leigh, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1871 / 51°11'13"N

Longitude: 0.1814 / 0°10'53"E

OS Eastings: 552546

OS Northings: 145362

OS Grid: TQ525453

Mapcode National: GBR MP2.JPH

Mapcode Global: VHHQ5.3F89

Entry Name: Former Cricket Ball Factory in the Grounds of the Paddocks

Listing Date: 23 October 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244265

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449185

Location: Leigh, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN11

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Leigh

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Leigh

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Penshurst

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:-

TQ 54 NW
50/1548

LEIGH
PENSHURST ROAD
Former Cricket Ball factory in the grounds of the Paddocks.

GV
II

Former factory, currently garage and outbuilding. Late C18 or early C19.
Weatherboarded on stock brick plinth. Old tiled roof with 2 ridge brick
chimneystacks, one with vitrified headers. Centre gable with leaded rectangular
fanlight and pargetting to sides with Dutch doors. To left are 2 early C19 fixed
casements with pegged architraves, one 3-light and one 2-light with Dutch plank
doors on pintle hinges. To the right of the gable are 3 fixed casements, two 3-light
and one 2-light and a plank door with pintle hinges. Roof has collar beams and
curved tie beams and the wall framing is of thin scantling with diagonal braces.
Part is lined with lath and plaster. Bats and balls were made in this factory by
the Duke family who lived in the adjoining house 'The Paddocks'. In 1780 the Duke
family presented the 1st six-seamed cricket ball ever made to the Prince of Wales,
later George IV. In 1841 the factory was moved near Penshurst station. The Duke
family were cousins of H G Wells. Joseph Wells, his father, used to come down to
the Penshurst area to collect their cricket goods to sell at his shop in Bromley.
This building must be one of the oldest cricket ball factories extant.
[See 'The History of Kent Country Cricket' by the Right Hon Lord Harris Eyre &
Spottiswoode P 39 1907.
The register of Kent County Cricketers 1729-1906 P 281
H G Wells 'Experiment in Autobiography' P 54 and 62]

Listing NGR: TQ5254645362

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

The following building shall be added to the list:-

TQ 54 NW
50/1548

LEIGH
PENSHURST ROAD
Former Cricket Ball factory in the grounds of the Paddocks.

GV
II

Former factory, currently garage and outbuilding. Late C18 or early C19.
Weatherboarded on stock brick plinth. Old tiled roof with 2 ridge brick
chimneystacks, one with vitrified headers. Centre gable with leaded rectangular
fanlight and pargetting to sides with Dutch doors. To left are 2 early C19 fixed
casements with pegged architraves, one 3-light and one 2-light with Dutch plank
doors on pintle hinges. To the right of the gable are 3 fixed casements, two 3-light
and one 2-light and a plank door with pintle hinges. Roof has collar beams and
curved tie beams and the wall framing is of thin scantling with diagonal braces.
Part is lined with lath and plaster. Bats and balls were made in this factory by
the Duke family who lived in the adjoining house 'The Paddocks'. In 1780 the Duke
family presented the 1st six-seamed cricket ball ever made to the Prince of Wales,
later George IV. In 1841 the factory was moved near Penshurst station. The Duke
family were cousins of H G Wells. Joseph Wells, his father, used to come down to
the Penshurst area to collect their cricket goods to sell at his shop in Bromley.
This building must be one of the oldest cricket ball factories extant.
[See 'The History of Kent Country Cricket' by the Right Hon Lord Harris Eyre &
Spottiswoode P 39 1907.
The register of Kent County Cricketers 1729-1906 P 281
H G Wells 'Experiment in Autobiography' P 54 and 62]

Listing NGR: TQ5254645362

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.