This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1871 / 51°11'13"N
Longitude: 0.1816 / 0°10'53"E
OS Eastings: 552559
OS Northings: 145355
OS Grid: TQ525453
Mapcode National: GBR MP2.JQM
Mapcode Global: VHHQ5.3FCB
Entry Name: The Paddocks
Listing Date: 16 January 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445299
Location: Leigh, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN11
Civil Parish: Leigh
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Leigh
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
LEIGH PENSHURST ROAD
TQ 54 NW
50/712 (north side)
The entry shall be amended to read;
TQ 54 Nw LEIGH PENSHURST ROAD
50/712 (north side)
House. Circa late C18 or early Cl9, extended in circa 1850. Weather-
boarded timber frame, tile hung north end gable. Plain tile roof with
gabled ends. 2 brick axial stacks.
2-room plan cottage with central axial stack and with circa 1850 1-room
plan extension on north end.
1 storey and attic. Asymmetrical 1:3 window west front, the 1 window on
left is the circa mid Cl9 extension. Circa early Cl9 and late C19 2 and
3-light casements with leaded panes, the attic casement in small gable
to right of centre. Doorway to left of centre ith single tall canopied
porch. Similar leaded casements to gabe ends. The east (rear) elevation
has gable at centre similar to that at front with leaded-pane casement,
and small casement under eaves and 12-pane sash o right and 2 large
stone windows (apparently from Penshurst Place (qv)) on left each with 3
4-centred arch lights with narrow sash windows with margin glazing bars.
C20 glazed porch on south gable end.
Interior: South room has fielded dado panelling.
Note: This was the home of the Duke family makers of cricket bats and
balls in the adjacent cricket ball factory (qv). It was extended in
circa 1850 when it became the Penshurst Bailiff's house, at about the
time the factory moved (1841) to a site near Penshurst station.
TQ 54 NW 50/712
Weatherboarded house of l-storey and attic, 3 windows, irregular. May have
timber framed core but present appearance largely early Cl9. Tiled roof with
attic window in small gable at right. Brick foundation.
This building was the "Bat and Ball" factory where some of the earliest cricket
bats were made. Graded for historical associations.
Listing NGR: TQ5410846345
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings