This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5197 / 51°31'10"N
Longitude: -0.1231 / 0°7'23"W
OS Eastings: 530317
OS Northings: 181752
OS Grid: TQ303817
Mapcode National: GBR J9.JF
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.T28C
Entry Name: Numbers 23-27 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 28 February 1969
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476734
Location: Camden, London, WC1A
Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bloomsbury Way St George
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081NW BLOOMSBURY SQUARE
798-1/100/104 (North side)
28/02/69 Nos.23-27 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.18-22 AND 23-27 (Consecutive))
5 terraced houses. 1800-1805. Designed and built by James
Burton. Multi-coloured stock brick, No.23 with rusticated
stucco ground floor.
4 storeys and basements. 3 windows each, No.23 with 4-window
return (mostly blind) to Bedford Place. Round-headed entrances
in recesses with reeded pilaster jambs carrying cornice-heads
(except No.23 which has plain stuccoed archivolt and narrow
side lights); fanlights (No.26 radial fanlight) and panelled
doors. Gauged red brick flat arches to recessed sash and, 1st
floor casement, windows, some with original glazing bars. Nos
25, 26 & 27 with patterned panes to top of casements.
Continuous cast-iron balconies at 1st floor level. Continuous
sill band at 3rd floor. Parapet.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas with
urn finials, No.23 with elaborate baluster finials.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this terrace was built on the site of Bedford
House (formerly Southampton House), demolished 1799.
Listing NGR: TQ3031681755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings