This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5194 / 51°31'9"N
Longitude: -0.1238 / 0°7'25"W
OS Eastings: 530268
OS Northings: 181716
OS Grid: TQ302817
Mapcode National: GBR J9.CJ
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.S2WL
Entry Name: Numbers 18-22 and Attached Railings and Attached Garden Wall and Railings to Number 22
Listing Date: 28 February 1969
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476733
Location: Camden, London, WC1A
Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bloomsbury Way St George
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081NW BLOOMSBURY SQUARE
798-1/100/97 (North side)
28/02/69 Nos.18-22 (Consecutive)
and attached railings & attached
garden wall and railings to No.22
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.18-22 AND 23-27 (Consecutive))
5 terraced houses. 1800-1805. Designed and built by James
Burton. Multi-coloured stock brick.
4 storeys and basements. 3 windows each, No.22 with 4-window
return (mostly blind) to Bedford Place. Round-headed entrances
in recesses with reeded pilaster jambs carrying cornice-heads;
fanlights (No.19 radial) and panelled doors. Gauged red brick
flat arches to recessed sash, and 1st floor casement, windows,
some with original glazing bars. Continuous 1st floor
cast-iron balconies, Nos 19 & 21 with tented verandah roofs on
cast-iron column supports. Continuous 3rd floor sill band.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn
finials to areas. No.22 with attached garden wall to Bedford
Place return. Wall with square-headed stucco surround to
panelled wood door with reeded architrave with roundels. To
left of door, a glazed oculus with small leaded panes of
stained glass forming a pattern around the rim. Stone capping
to wall with cast-iron railings.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this terrace is on the site of Bedford House
(formerly Southampton House), demolished 1799.
Listing NGR: TQ3026281713
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings