This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.803 / 50°48'10"N
Longitude: -1.1239 / 1°7'25"W
OS Eastings: 461834
OS Northings: 100749
OS Grid: SU618007
Mapcode National: GBR VKT.0R
Mapcode Global: FRA 86JZ.3ZK
Plus Code: 9C2WRV3G+6F
Entry Name: Slaughterhouse
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244462
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476741
Location: Christchurch, Gosport, Hampshire, PO12
Electoral Ward/Division: Christchurch
Built-Up Area: Gosport
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Gosport Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ 6160 WEEVIL LANE
1137/5/10018 ROYAL CLARENCE VICTUALLING YARD
13-AUG-99 (East side)
Slaughterhouse at naval victualling yard; now store. 1854 - 5. Red brick with Portland stone dressings, slate hipped roof with a ridge vent. Italianate style. Rectangular plan with N receiving house and attached large butchering house. Single storey; 3:12- window range. Stone plinth and impost band all round, the sides with an arcade of keyed round arches with matching 6/3-pane sashes, brick infill below on the W side, the E quay side has vertical timber mullions to the lower section; above are rectangular eaves lights with C20 glazing. The E side has a cast-iron swing hoist to the S end. S return has central double doors to a flat head. N block has a central double door with flanking round-arched lights, and 3-window quay side.
INTERIOR: Main section has a wide timber roof with strutted queen posts, ceiled mid C20, with cast-iron supports and braces, and fixtures for butchering and for operating the ridge louvres. N block has a timber king post roof.
HISTORY: The N section received the live beasts, and the long range was for butchering and preparing the meat. An important functional part of this large victualling yard, a butchering facility was added to the grand bakery and mill complex, opened in 1832. This is one of the first large industrial food processing plants in the country, and is indicative of the considerable scale of the navy's victualling operation, on an important site overlooking the river.
The Slaughterhouse was built in its current location having been relocated from adjacent to the landing stage for the Royal Yacht due to many complaints from the Royal Household of 'offensive effluvia' from the old slaughterhouse which discharged into the harbour where the Royal Yacht moored.
(Source: D Evans: The Granary/Mill/Bakehouse complex at the Royal Clarence Yard, with the Hydraulic Engine House and the Slaughterhouse. Report for Berkeley Homes, 2000, p.14)
Listing NGR: SU6165800327
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings