This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8022 / 50°48'7"N
Longitude: -1.1248 / 1°7'29"W
OS Eastings: 461768
OS Northings: 100654
OS Grid: SU617006
Mapcode National: GBR VKN.VR
Mapcode Global: FRA 86JZ.9LV
Plus Code: 9C2WRV2G+V3
Entry Name: Hydraulic Engine House
Listing Date: 1 March 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486979
Location: Christchurch, Gosport, Hampshire, PO12
Electoral Ward/Division: Christchurch
Built-Up Area: Gosport
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Gosport Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
Tagged with: House
SU 6100 WEEVIL LANE
1137/5/10086 Royal Clarence Victualling Yard
01-MAR-01 (East side)
Hydraulic Engine House
Engine House, with well. 1862, design by Andrew Murray, Chief Engineer Portsmouth Dockyard, under the direction of Col. G T Greene. Red brick in English bond, slate roofs with lead dressings. A compact plan, with main boiler house full length on the N side, having a long wing extending S on the side adjoining the bakery and Mill (qv), and containing the well, within the re-entrant angle a 3 storey tower; the stack, now demolished, lay detached to the N side.
A carefully detailed building, the main window and door openings have brick arches over a recessed panel also with brick voussoirs; the design drawings (95/06266, see Evans, p14) show entrance doors centrally to N side, but this now has two 9-paned sash windows with radial bars to the upper sash, and to the right, a blind panel; the return facing the Bakery is in 4 bays, with a blind panel and two sashes as to the N, then a wider and higher recessed arched opening with a wide pair of plank doors beneath a fanlight. The W front, on the right return, had originally a sash window, but now contains a full-height pair of plank wide doors, the upper parts with 4 vertical glass panes; then the tower, with a recessed sash below a smaller 9-pane with radial bars, beneath a small oculus with louvres. The tower return has corresponding features, but are all blind panels, with, to the right in the lower portion, a further sash to an arch, but without radial bars. The wing containing the well returns, with a narrow pair of plank doors to radial light in recessed arch, and a full-height pair of plank doors containing 6-pane lights, to a concrete lintel, on the outer end; these doors replace an original sash. All roofs are hipped, and the boiler house has a continuous lantern with louvres. The eaves have a moulded cornice above a brick dentil course to all roofs.
Interior: Some of the original heavy timber framework for machinery remains.
This engine house was built after a series of discussions during the early part of the '60s about suitable power needed both for the great Mill and Bakery which are adjacent, and for keeping the reservoir filled. The reservoir provided fresh water supplies for naval shipping, in connection with which the great Tank Store (qv) had been built thirty years earlier. It was designed to maintain a hydraulic head of 700lbs psi. (Evans). It is a very handsome building, bearing in mind its purely functional purpose, in a late Georgian tradition, and may have had special consideration in view of its proximity to the very splendid main Bakery building alongside. It is of considerable importance in the history of the development of this site, in addition to being an early and fine example of a hydraulically-powered engine house.
(Evans, D (ROYAL CLARENCE YARD - some buildings reconsidered; Gosport Borough Council - 1999; Coad, J: THE ROYAL DOCKYARDS 1690/1850; RCHME - 1989)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings