History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Round Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Portsmouth, City of Portsmouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8086 / 50°48'30"N

Longitude: -1.0943 / 1°5'39"W

OS Eastings: 463908

OS Northings: 101393

OS Grid: SU639013

Mapcode National: GBR VQH.XX

Mapcode Global: FRA 86LY.PH2

Entry Name: Round Tower

Listing Date: 13 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244590

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476644

Location: Portsmouth, PO2

County: City of Portsmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens

Built-Up Area: Portsmouth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Gosport

Listing Text

SU 60 SW CIRCULAR ROAD
(North, off)
774-1/3/192 HM Naval Base Round Tower

GV II


Part of dockyard sea defence wall, now naval accommodation. Built 1843-48 under direction of Captain H James RE; dismantled and re-erected in present position 1867 (Patterson, p28). Ashlar. Circular 3-stage tower, the lower stage battered, with rectangular and round-arched openings; machicolated band, rising over round archway on eastern side; machicolated parapet with roll-moulded coping. The tower was located originally to the north-west of the present No.15 dock (not listed, Patterson, p25).
(Sources: The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks & Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 25 ; A Military Heritage: Patterson BH: A History of Portsmouth & -Portsea Town- Fortifications: Portsmouth: 1984: 25,28 ; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974: 59).


Listing NGR: SU6299200361

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SU 60 SW CIRCULAR ROAD
(North, off)
774-1/3/192 HM Naval Base Round Tower

GV II


Part of dockyard sea defence wall, now naval accommodation. Built 1843-48 under direction of Captain H James RE; dismantled and re-erected in present position 1867 (Patterson, p28). Ashlar. Circular 3-stage tower, the lower stage battered, with rectangular and round-arched openings; machicolated band, rising over round archway on eastern side; machicolated parapet with roll-moulded coping. The tower was located originally to the north-west of the present No.15 dock (not listed, Patterson, p25).
(Sources: The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks & Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 25 ; A Military Heritage: Patterson BH: A History of Portsmouth & -Portsea Town- Fortifications: Portsmouth: 1984: 25,28 ; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974: 59).


Listing NGR: SU6299200361

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.