History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fredericks Battery

A Grade II Listed Building in Portsmouth, City of Portsmouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8075 / 50°48'26"N

Longitude: -1.0938 / 1°5'37"W

OS Eastings: 463950

OS Northings: 101273

OS Grid: SU639012

Mapcode National: GBR VQL.QH

Mapcode Global: FRA 86LY.XBJ

Entry Name: Fredericks Battery

Listing Date: 13 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244588

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476643

Location: Portsmouth, PO2

County: City of Portsmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens

Built-Up Area: Portsmouth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Gosport

Listing Text

SU 60 SW CIRCULAR ROAD
(North side)
774-1/3/191 HM Naval Base
Frederick's Battery

GV II


Part of dockyard sea defence wall. Built 1843-48, under direction of Captain H James, RE; dismantled and re-erected in present position 1867 (Patterson, p28). Coursed squared stone, laid randomly, with ashlar dressings. Approx. 50 metre length of wall with end towers. Towers of 2 stages (to north) and 3 stages (to south), battered, and with round- arched openings (some blocked), and vertical and looped cruciform slits. Wall has walkway backed by parapet wall carried on 7 vaulted casemates (6 segmental-arched, 1 round-arched), the rear wall of each casemate having a blocked rectangular opening, probably coal shute hole (the casements were used as coal stores at one stage), and the central one a large entrance way. Projecting section of walling at right end has slits over 4 round-arched entrances, the 2 at centre blocked, the outer 2 with ashlar tympana carved with date 1886, and cipher.
HISTORY: the battery was located originally just to the west of the present No.15 dock (not listed, Patterson, p25). At the time of the re- erection of the battery, it extended to the Round Tower (qv) but the northern end was demolished in 1912 to make way for a rail link (Riley).
(Sources: The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 417 ; The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks & Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 21, 25, 26 ; A Military Heritage: Patterson BH: A History of Portsmouth & Portsea Town Fortifications: Portsmouth: 1984: 25,28).


Listing NGR: SU6299200361

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.