This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3641 / 50°21'50"N
Longitude: -4.1593 / 4°9'33"W
OS Eastings: 246516
OS Northings: 53804
OS Grid: SX465538
Mapcode National: GBR R7J.9R
Mapcode Global: FRA 2852.PD5
Plus Code: 9C2Q9R7R+J7
Entry Name: Royal Marine Barracks the Longroom
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244646
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473372
Location: St. Peter and the Waterfront, Plymouth, PL1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4653 DURNFORD STREET, Stonehouse
740-1/66/785 (East side)
01/05/75 Royal Marine Barracks: The Longroom
Assembly rooms, then mess, later infirmary, school, now
gymnasium. 1760, officer's mess from 1805, school from 1818;
extended slightly early C19.
MATERIALS: red brick laid to Flemish bond with rusticated
stone quoins; dry slate hipped roofs behind brick parapets
with moulded stone cornices; brick stack towards left. Mid
PLAN: rectangular plan with double-depth rear section;
entrance hall to centre at either end.
EXTERIOR: main block is 2 storeys over basement and 3-window
range with mid-floor string; rear block is 3 storeys over
basement and under same parapet level; 5:5-window range, the
left-hand 2 bays of rear block a later extension. Original
window openings have gauged brick arches over 6/6-pane sashes,
later openings with segmental arches over similar sashes.
Original symmetrical 3-window entrance front to right-hand
return with moulded architraves to ground-floor window
openings and central distyle Ionic pedimented porch with
dentilled cornices and pulvinated frieze; round-arched doorway
Rear end rendered with a C19 3-window entrance front including
a central porch with round-arched doorway and blind niches to
the sides, and windows altered mid C20.
INTERIOR: has long room on each floor to main block with a
lateral dogleg stair to the front; central axial early C19
open-well staircase in later part with stick balusters, ramped
rails and turned newels; original joists to white-washed
HISTORY: bought from the Corporation in 1805 for use as an
officer's mess, but used as a school for children of NCOs when
the officers moved to the rebuilt officer's mess (qv) in 1818.
The rear was used as an infirmary from c1859, when the nearby
surgeon's house was erected. A markedly similar composition to
the 1761 Guildhall at Poole, Dorset.
Stonehouse barracks was built between 1781-1783. Included for
historic and architectural interest with the main part of the
barracks complex, which is the oldest and most important group
of barracks in England not forming part of a fortification.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
Listing NGR: SX4651653804
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings