History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gibraltar Barracks the Keep

A Grade II Listed Building in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.248 / 52°14'52"N

Longitude: 0.6983 / 0°41'53"E

OS Eastings: 584296

OS Northings: 264526

OS Grid: TL842645

Mapcode National: GBR QDZ.3C4

Mapcode Global: VHKD4.2R0J

Entry Name: Gibraltar Barracks the Keep

Listing Date: 14 September 1992

Last Amended: 30 October 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467056

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds

Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text


BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL86 OUT RISBYGATE
639-1/13/513 (North side)
14/09/92 Gibraltar Barracks: The Keep
(Formerly Listed as:
OUT RISBYGATE
(North side)
Suffolk Regimental Museum)

GV II

Armoury, guard house and store for the Suffolk Regiment
Localisation depot; now The Suffolk Regimental Museum. 1877,
designed at the War Office by Major HC Seddon RE. Red brick
laid in English Bond with white brick and stone dressings;
flat roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; two 4-storey towers, one at the
north-west corner and a higher tower at the south-east corner;
rounded corners to the south-west and north-east. 6 windows to
each storey of the north and south facades, all cast-iron,
small-paned, with shaped stone heads and projecting sills. A
band of plain white brick runs at sill level on each storey,
and a white brick band with guilloche ornament links the tops
of all the windows.
The walls are topped by a high crenellated parapet, stepped up
slightly at the north-east corner. Both rounded corners have a
small slit window. The 2 towers, which contain the stairs, are
ornately treated, with a row of 3 narrow stepped windows to
each storey. The top stage is marked by a course of white
brick with guilloche ornament and has diaper patterning in
blue headers.
The projecting top is crenellated above a row of stone
machicolations.
INTERIOR: not inspected but reported to be fire-proof with
open well stone stairs in the towers, and jack arch floors to
iron columns.
HISTORY: this is the only building which survives of a much
larger depot complex. The Barracks ceased to be used in 1960,
following the amalgamation of the Suffolk Regiment into the
East Anglian Regiment in 1959. The remaining buildings were
subsequently demolished. The keep was the characteristic
building of the Localisation depots. These were part of the
Cardwell reforms, which were intended to strengthen the ties
between the regiment and its locality, to assist recruitment.
As such the keep raised the local profile of the barracks, and
provided an emblematic focus for the regiment. One of only
nine surviving examples of this important symbolic building.


Listing NGR: TL8429664526

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL86 OUT RISBYGATE
639-1/13/513 (North side)
14/09/92 Gibraltar Barracks: The Keep
(Formerly Listed as:
OUT RISBYGATE
(North side)
Suffolk Regimental Museum)

GV II

Armoury, guard house and store for the Suffolk Regiment
Localisation depot; now The Suffolk Regimental Museum. 1877,
designed at the War Office by Major HC Seddon RE. Red brick
laid in English Bond with white brick and stone dressings;
flat roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; two 4-storey towers, one at the
north-west corner and a higher tower at the south-east corner;
rounded corners to the south-west and north-east. 6 windows to
each storey of the north and south facades, all cast-iron,
small-paned, with shaped stone heads and projecting sills. A
band of plain white brick runs at sill level on each storey,
and a white brick band with guilloche ornament links the tops
of all the windows.
The walls are topped by a high crenellated parapet, stepped up
slightly at the north-east corner. Both rounded corners have a
small slit window. The 2 towers, which contain the stairs, are
ornately treated, with a row of 3 narrow stepped windows to
each storey. The top stage is marked by a course of white
brick with guilloche ornament and has diaper patterning in
blue headers.
The projecting top is crenellated above a row of stone
machicolations.
INTERIOR: not inspected but reported to be fire-proof with
open well stone stairs in the towers, and jack arch floors to
iron columns.
HISTORY: this is the only building which survives of a much
larger depot complex. The Barracks ceased to be used in 1960,
following the amalgamation of the Suffolk Regiment into the
East Anglian Regiment in 1959. The remaining buildings were
subsequently demolished. The keep was the characteristic
building of the Localisation depots. These were part of the
Cardwell reforms, which were intended to strengthen the ties
between the regiment and its locality, to assist recruitment.
As such the keep raised the local profile of the barracks, and
provided an emblematic focus for the regiment. One of only
nine surviving examples of this important symbolic building.


Listing NGR: TL8429664526

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.