This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.248 / 52°14'52"N
Longitude: 0.698 / 0°41'52"E
OS Eastings: 584276
OS Northings: 264520
OS Grid: TL842645
Mapcode National: GBR QDZ.38Z
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.1RVK
Plus Code: 9F426MXX+55
Entry Name: Gibraltar Barracks Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 14 September 1992
Last Amended: 30 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467080
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL86 OUT RISBYGATE
639-1/13/514 (North side)
14/09/92 Gibraltar Barracks: Walls and Gates
(Formerly Listed as:
Walls and gates to former Barracks)
Boundary walls to the south, west and east of the former
Suffolk Localisation depot, (now the Suffolk Regimental
Museum, qv), with entrance gates and low corner turrets. 1878,
by the War Office. Red brick, laid in English Bond, with some
The walls are high with a high plinth and a projecting top
with rounded copings. It is divided into narrow bays by sturdy
full height pilasters. Along the south side 2 sections are
rebuilt without any detailing. Where the ground level changes
the wall is stepped at intervals. At the east and west ends of
the south side are low corner turrets, crenellated, with a row
of 3 slit windows along each of the outer faces.
The main entrance to the Barracks on the south side has high,
wide wrought-iron gates flanked by small side gates. The 4
gate piers each have 3 plain stone bands, one above the
plinth, the other 2 below the stone cap, which is square with
chamfered sides. Each pair of gate piers is linked above the
side gates by brickwork, with a stone capping and moulded
head, and carries a stone block, on the left with a shield
dated 1878, and on the right with the interwoven letters VR.
Also painted over the left gate are the almost obliterated
words 'DEPOT SUFFOLK REGIMENT'.
Included as part of a group with the former keep (qv), as
forming the entrance to the depot, now demolished.
Listing NGR: TL8413364582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings