This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.567 / 51°34'1"N
Longitude: -0.261 / 0°15'39"W
OS Eastings: 520623
OS Northings: 186779
OS Grid: TQ206867
Mapcode National: GBR 8M.YPM
Mapcode Global: VHGQJ.FWC3
Plus Code: 9C3XHP8Q+QH
Entry Name: 1/1a-5/5a Old St Andrew's Mansions
Listing Date: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244824
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472858
Location: Brent, London, NW9
Electoral Ward/Division: Welsh Harp
Built-Up Area: Brent
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew Kingsbury
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 28 NW OLD CHURCH LANE
935/2/10046 1/1A-5/5A Old St Andrew's Mansions
Block of ten flats. 1936 by Ernest George Trobridge. Brick, with render - particularly to upper stories and gables; some half timbering, especially to .bays and gables. Tiled roofs with hips and gables, and with extraordinary stacks, characteristic of Trobridge's idiosyncratic style. Each pair of two flats treated as a distinctive house in irregular picturesque composition, but with external stairs leading to the upper flats. EXTERIOR: All the flats have opening casement windows under latticed toplights, in timber frames, except those to Nos. 4 and 5 which have been renewed and are not in keeping. Leaded lozenge glazing to all the lights of No.4a, but this must always have been unusual. The main four-light windows are set in square bays, but their staggered grouping is irregular, and punctuated by flourishes of idiosyncratic brickwork, particularly to the stacks and staircases balustrades. All gables have decorated timber barge boards. Prominent steps to No.1a. Nos.2, 2a, 3 and 3a share a most elaborate grouped chimney, their three flues linked high above eaves level. Arch between Nos. 3/3a and 4/4a, through which Nos. 3 and 4 are entered, surmounted by the curved stairs with machicolated brick balustrading leading to the upper flats. Entry to Nos 5/5a from side, the projecting staircase having a stepped balustrade and culminating in open porch under timber gable whose partial glazing has leaded lights. Original panelled doors with small timber lights. INTERIORS not inspected, but understood to retain panelling to living rooms, with picture rail and deep frieze and ceiling cove above. Doors lined in the same timber. The other rooms with coved ceilings and bedroom with picture rail. Included as the best surviving flats by E G Trobridge, an eccentric local architect whose limited surviving works are concentrated in the Kingsbury area where he lived. His own house in Slough Lane is already listed, and it was with a series of timber-framed houses that he came to attention in the 1920s, for he developed a method of using unseasoned timber and unskilled ex-servicemen to build cheap yet charismatic homes for heroes. In the 1930s he went on to build flats, of brick but again with quirky detailing, of which only Nos.1/1a- 12/12a St Andrew's Mansions survive in listable condition. The detailing is inspired by Trobridge's devout Swedenborgian beliefs, Emanuel Swedenborg (1688-1772) proposed a system of "correspondence" whereby worldly, spiritual and divine ideas could be related together. Trobridge wrote in 1909 that 'the philosophy of Swedenborg affects every detail of every structure ... the doctrine of degrees enables one to divide each problem into end, cause and effect.' The effect on his work was the idiosyncratic expression of every chimney, staircase and external detail, while his understanding of timber enriched otherwise humble interiors. The result is to make his artisan rented housing quite remarkable.
Oxford Brookes University, Ernest George Trobridge, Architect Extraordinary , 1982.
Listing NGR: TQ2063286792
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings