This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5667 / 51°34'0"N
Longitude: -0.2614 / 0°15'41"W
OS Eastings: 520598
OS Northings: 186746
OS Grid: TQ205867
Mapcode National: GBR 8M.YKV
Mapcode Global: VHGQJ.FW4B
Plus Code: 9C3XHP8Q+MC
Entry Name: 6/6a-7/7a Old St Andrew's Mansions
Listing Date: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244826
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472860
Location: Welsh Harp, Brent, London, NW9
Electoral Ward/Division: Welsh Harp
Built-Up Area: Brent
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew Kingsbury
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 28 NW
OLD CHURCH LANE
(East side )
6/6a-7/7a Old St Andrew's Mansions
Two pairs of flats. 1936 by Ernest George Trobridge. Brick, with render - particularly to first floor and sides, with timbering and barge boards to gables. Tiled roofs. A symmetrical pair, of two stories and resembling a conventional semi-detached pair of houses, save for the extraordinary central staircase leading from the centre of the main elevation to the first floor flats, which are entered under the dramatic central brick stack, characteristic of Trobridge's idiosyncratic style. EXTERIOR: All the flats have opening casement windows under latticed toplights, in timber frames, of two or three bays in a symmetrical composition. The smaller side bays jettied under their own timber gables. Original panelled doors with small timber lights to ground floor. The external stair is for once straight, set between brick balustrades and with a surround of stepped brickwork laid in the manner of tiling without coursing but with crow-steps. Canted brick gables with square tops set at an angle to the rest. INTERIORS not inspected, but understood to retain panelling to living rooms, with picture rail and deep frieze and ceiling cove above. Doors lined in the same timber. The other rooms with coved ceilings and bedroom with picture rail. Included as part of the best surviving group of flats by E G Trobridge, an eccentric local architect whose limited surviving works are concentrated in the Kingsbury area where he lived. His own house in Slough Lane is already listed, and it was with a series of timber-framed houses that he came to attention in the 1920s, for he developed a method of using unseasoned timber and unskilled ex-servicemen to build cheap yet charismatic homes for heroes. In the 1930s he went on to build flats, of brick but again with quirky detailing, of which only Nos.1/1a- 12/12a St Andrew's Mansions survive in listable condition. The detailing is inspired by Trobridge's devout Swedenborgian beliefs, Emanuel Swedenborg (1688-1772) proposed a system of "correspondence" whereby worldly, spiritual and divine ideas could be related together. Trobridge wrote in 1909 that 'the philosophy of Swedenborg affects every detail of every structure ... the doctrine of degrees enables one to divide each problem into end, cause and effect.' The effect on his work was the idiosyncratic expression of every chimney, staircase and external detail, while his understanding of timber enriched otherwise humble interiors. The result is to make his artisan rented housing quite remarkable.
Oxford Brookes University , Ernest George Trobridge, Architect Extraordinary , 1982.
Listing NGR: TQ2059886746
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings