This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8441 / 51°50'38"N
Longitude: -0.3639 / 0°21'49"W
OS Eastings: 512805
OS Northings: 217430
OS Grid: TL128174
Mapcode National: GBR H73.BSZ
Mapcode Global: VHFRN.MXZ6
Plus Code: 9C3XRJVP+JC
Entry Name: Wernher Mausoleum to North of Greek Orthodox Church of St Charalambos
Listing Date: 1 August 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468809
Location: Hyde, Central Bedfordshire, LU2
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Hyde
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Harpenden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/11/2017
LOWER HARPENDEN ROAD (north, off) Wernher Mausoleum to north of Greek Orthodox Churchof St Charalambos
(Formerly listed as Wernher Mausoleum to north of Holy Trinity Church)
Mausoleum. c1912. Erected by the Wernher family of Luton Hoo to commemorate Sir Julius Wernher (d. 21/5/1912).
Rectangular monument of ashlar limestone, built in the form of a chantry chapel in the Decorated Gothic style, and containing a sarcophagus bound with metal straps. Each side is comprised of three steeply-pitched gabled panels, with crockets and finials, framing cusped openings sealed by iron grilles. At the corners are canopied niches containing statuary. The principal inscription at the south end reads 'To the dear and revered memory of Sir Julius Wernher, Baronet, born April 9th, 1850, died May 21st 1912. The family vault of Sir Julius Wernher, Bart.' There are short inscriptions to other family members.
Listing NGR: TL1280517430
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings