This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4716 / 51°28'17"N
Longitude: -0.3812 / 0°22'52"W
OS Eastings: 512532
OS Northings: 175982
OS Grid: TQ125759
Mapcode National: GBR 4N.4KM
Mapcode Global: VHFTL.B8VP
Plus Code: 9C3XFJC9+MG
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 15 August 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468823
Location: Heston Central, Hounslow, London, TW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Heston Central
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Paul and The Good Shepherd, Hounslow
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 1275 BATH ROAD, Hounslow
787-/30/10041 St Paul's Church
Anglican church. 1873-4 by WG Habershon and AR Pite. Ragstone with Bath stone dressing; 2-coloured slate roof. Cruciform plan.
EXTERIOR: wide-aisled nave of 4 bays with broad shallow transepts, lower chancel roof; chancel of 2 bays with organ chamber and choir vestry to the south and priest's vestry on the north. Tower of 4 storeys, buttresses at the corners and gargoyles, with broach spire, at SW corner. Large Decorated windows to nave, transepts and chancel; clerestory with trefoils and quatrefoils. Aisles have paired windows with Decorated tracery with bays divided by buttresses. The clerestory has small openings of alternate trefoils and quatrefoils set in circular frames. The south wall of the transept has a wide Decorated window with traceried lights in the lower part and a circle containing trefoils and quatrefoils in the upper part. The lower part of the transept is lit by four lancet windows with trefoils in the heads. East window of five lights with a wheel window in the head. The north transept and north wall of the nave are identical with the south side of the church. The west wall has a projecting porch around the west door and a rose window above.
INTERIOR: 4 bays with fifth larger deeper bays into the transepts. Timber roof, panelled, with arched trusses. Aisles have pent roofs in wood with carved braces. Chancel arch: thin colonnettes, carved bases and capitals, moulded and pointed arch. Nave arcades supported on round pillars with foliated capitals. Above the pillars in the nave colonnettes stand on stone brackets. West door surrounded with stone frontispiece with a triangular crocketed gable. Aisle windows are of 3 lights with splayed embrasures.
STAINED GLASS: the wide east window has glass depicting scenes from the life and teaching of St Paul, 1883. North side: Christ the Carpenter and Harvest by Alan Younger, 1967. Otherwise, glass not exceptional.
FITTINGS: original pews with moulded tops to backs. Organ on south side
of the chancel, with painted pipes, and quatrefoils carved onto the organ case. Font: stone octagon with trefoils and quatrefoils alternating on the side panels. Pulpit: c1917, donated in memory of Edith Beven.
Listing NGR: TQ1253275982
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings