History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Arsenal Building 19

A Grade II Listed Building in Greenwich, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4936 / 51°29'36"N

Longitude: 0.0717 / 0°4'18"E

OS Eastings: 543914

OS Northings: 179213

OS Grid: TQ439792

Mapcode National: GBR NJ.QQ4

Mapcode Global: VHHNK.6Q7D

Entry Name: Royal Arsenal Building 19

Listing Date: 9 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245205

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468765

Location: Greenwich, London, SE18

County: London

District: Greenwich

Electoral Ward/Division: Woolwich Riverside

Built-Up Area: Greenwich

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Woolwich St Mary Magdalene with St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
North Woolwich

Listing Text

TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18
(North side)

786- /9/10070 Royal Arsenal
Building 19

GV II

Carriage mounting shop, disused. 1887, drawings signed by Col H Crozier, Inspector of Works, and G Munday, contractor, cast-iron internal frame by John Lysaghts of Bristol dated 1887. Yellow stock brick with corrugated sheet valley roof; internal iron frame. Rectangular plan of 3 parallel gabled ranges, the N range shorter. 1 storey; 12-bay range. EXTERIOR: Near-symmetrical front has moulded brick eaves, sunken flat-headed bays containing paired round-arched windows with 6/6-pane sashes, blind right-hand end, and wide round-arched doorway 4 bays from the right with a fanlight to boarded doors. Coped end gables have 3 sunken panels with round-arched windows and matching recesses, and an oculus. N range 6 bays with a segmental-arched carriage entrance and ridge lantern behind the raised W gable. INTERIOR: contains a central arcade of cast-iron posts with flanged caps to an I -section rivetted beam, and rolled iron roof trusses with diagonal braces and wrought-iron ties bolted to a round central connecting plate. A gantry crane is supported by heavy cast-iron openwork piers to wrought-iron riveted gantry rails, later traveller. Shorter N range possibly built for storage. Narrow and standard gauge rails cross the hall. HISTORICAL NOTE: Known as the Mounting Ground, part of the Royal Carriage Department and used for mounting gun barrels onto the carriages. Of historical interest as a near-complete part of the Royal Carriage Department, and which as an industrial building type is comparable with the erecting shops found in the great railway engineering works of the period, now best preserved at Swindon and Derby.


Listing NGR: TQ4391479213

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.