History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Victoria Theatre

A Grade II Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7212 / 53°43'16"N

Longitude: -1.8616 / 1°51'41"W

OS Eastings: 409228

OS Northings: 424986

OS Grid: SE092249

Mapcode National: GBR HTFD.RS

Mapcode Global: WHC9M.CQRM

Entry Name: The Victoria Theatre

Listing Date: 24 June 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245344

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468741

Location: Calderdale, HX1

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Halifax The Minster Church of St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Halifax

Listing Text

SE 0924 NW COMMERCIAL STREET
(West side)

679/18/10265 Nos. 49-63 (Odd)
The Victoria Theatre

GV II

Includes: The Victoria Theatre, BACK COMMERCIAL STREET
Includes: The Victoria Theatre, No.2 FOUNTAIN STREET
Includes: The Victoria Theatre, POWELL STREET
Includes: The Victoria Theatre, WARD'S END

Marked on OS map as Victoria Hall. Concert hall, now theatre, and shops. Designed 1897 by W Clement Williams for the Halifax Concert Hall & Public Rooms Co Ltd. Foundation stone laid May 6 1899 by Sir George Fisher-Smith. Opened Feb 8 1901 with concert by the Halle Orchestra. Restored and converted 1962-66. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Baroque Revival style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 8 x 5 bays with curved corner of 9 bays. Entrance in curve facing SE has slate-covered awning over 3 sets of glass doors; whole curve has Ionic pilasters defining bays, the left the shop front of the box office and the right a separate shop. Deep entablature supports first floor half columns, also Ionic, paired to central 3 bays with wide central window flanked by arched niches containing statues; other bays have single lights, all with transoms. Eaves cornice and roof balustrade with urn finials. One-bay, 3-stage towers flank this section and have pedimented windows in architraves; corniced blind top sections have corner pinnacles and high colonnaded lanterns with oeil-de-boeuf and scroll brackets to top frieze. Long front to Commercial Street has pilasters and entablature framing plate glass shop windows, pedimented sash windows above with richly carved lintel bands, and paired lights in pedimented end bays. Rich carving in pediments. Names of composers carved in impost band include Bishop, Wallace, Arne, Purcell, Balft, Bennett, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn. Roof conical over entrance, with cast-iron cresting surrounding tall arcaded lantern with ogee roof and spike finial; high domes over flanking towers; hipped roofs over ends of Commercial Street front linked by ridge with balustraded parapet. INTERIOR: shows much rich decoration, with especially ornate foyer and stairwell; Corinthian jewelled columns support imperial stairs which have cast-iron curved flowering stems for balustrades, with polished wood handrail; foyer walls panelled with pilasters and moulded over door decoration. Full width stair light deeply coved and filled with painted glass in intense colours, with swags and bows framing central `VR' motif. Bust of Queen Victoria on pedestal on stair landing. Auditorium entirely without columns to the cantilevered balconies which have bombe fronts; moulded proscenium arch, and coved panelled ceiling.


Listing NGR: SE0922824986

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SE 0924 NW COMMERCIAL STREET
(West side)

679/18/10265 Nos. 49-63 (Odd)
The Victoria Theatre

GV II

Includes: The Victoria Theatre, BACK COMMERCIAL STREET
Includes: The Victoria Theatre, No.2 FOUNTAIN STREET
Includes: The Victoria Theatre, POWELL STREET
Includes: The Victoria Theatre, WARD'S END

Marked on OS map as Victoria Hall. Concert hall, now theatre, and shops. Designed 1897 by W Clement Williams for the Halifax Concert Hall & Public Rooms Co Ltd. Foundation stone laid May 6 1899 by Sir George Fisher-Smith. Opened Feb 8 1901 with concert by the Halle Orchestra. Restored and converted 1962-66. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Baroque Revival style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 8 x 5 bays with curved corner of 9 bays. Entrance in curve facing SE has slate-covered awning over 3 sets of glass doors; whole curve has Ionic pilasters defining bays, the left the shop front of the box office and the right a separate shop. Deep entablature supports first floor half columns, also Ionic, paired to central 3 bays with wide central window flanked by arched niches containing statues; other bays have single lights, all with transoms. Eaves cornice and roof balustrade with urn finials. One-bay, 3-stage towers flank this section and have pedimented windows in architraves; corniced blind top sections have corner pinnacles and high colonnaded lanterns with oeil-de-boeuf and scroll brackets to top frieze. Long front to Commercial Street has pilasters and entablature framing plate glass shop windows, pedimented sash windows above with richly carved lintel bands, and paired lights in pedimented end bays. Rich carving in pediments. Names of composers carved in impost band include Bishop, Wallace, Arne, Purcell, Balft, Bennett, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn. Roof conical over entrance, with cast-iron cresting surrounding tall arcaded lantern with ogee roof and spike finial; high domes over flanking towers; hipped roofs over ends of Commercial Street front linked by ridge with balustraded parapet. INTERIOR: shows much rich decoration, with especially ornate foyer and stairwell; Corinthian jewelled columns support imperial stairs which have cast-iron curved flowering stems for balustrades, with polished wood handrail; foyer walls panelled with pilasters and moulded over door decoration. Full width stair light deeply coved and filled with painted glass in intense colours, with swags and bows framing central `VR' motif. Bust of Queen Victoria on pedestal on stair landing. Auditorium entirely without columns to the cantilevered balconies which have bombe fronts; moulded proscenium arch, and coved panelled ceiling.


Listing NGR: SE0922824986

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.