This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7951 / 50°47'42"N
Longitude: -1.1063 / 1°6'22"W
OS Eastings: 463083
OS Northings: 99887
OS Grid: SZ630998
Mapcode National: GBR VNM.04
Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.YMC
Plus Code: 9C2WQVWV+3F
Entry Name: Hms Nelson; Building Number 58
Listing Date: 18 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245373
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476919
Location: St. Thomas, Portsmouth, PO1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Thomas
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ 6399 PORTSMOUTH GUNWHARF ROAD
Ordnance Board office
Alternatively known as: The Customs House, Building No.58, GU NWHARF ROAD HMS VERNON Naval ordnance office. Late C18 with later additions. Patterned red brick with grey headers in Flemish bond; Portland dressings; gauged bright-red brick flat arches. Hipped Welsh slate roof. Late Georgian style.
PLAN: T-shaped, partly infilled to rear, with single-depth offices off an axial corridor. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 15 x 3 bays. An ashlar plinth and plat band; stepped dentilled eaves cornice below coped parapet; 6/6-pane sashes in reveals with stone sills, central 3-bay break below pediment having double 6-panel door with overlight up flight of 3 stone steps with iron railings (overlight now boarded up but formerly recorded as containing panel with gilded rope surround); stone panel in pediment, formerly recorded as containing gilded and painted Royal coat of arms in rope surround (wooden).
Rear: central stair bay projects with later infill either side, with grey headers, round-arched entrance and window above, and 2 segmental-arched openings to ground-floor left with 9/9-pane sashes above. The main range has round-arched recesses on 1st floor containing oculi, only 2 of which survive (on right side, with glazing bars). Right return: oculi with glazing bars, that on right replaced by window.
Left return: on each floor a central window flanked by oculi, that on ground floor left now a window.
INTERIOR: has much of its original fittings including 6-panel doors with butt-beaded outer panels, chair rails, a partly rebuilt central Imperial stair in the rear projection with round-arched doorways off, and double doors to the principal main central first-floor room.
HISTORY: the offices controlled the storage and issue of armaments and ordnance stores to naval ships. It is the only significant survival from the original Gun Wharf Yard, apart from the former entrance (qv), and similar to the 17705 office at Priddy's Hard (qv). As such this forms part of the very significant historic dockyard complex at Portsmouth, as well as being an important Georgian office building.
(Sources: Coad JG: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 180-181, 257).
Listing NGR: SU6610802158
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings